Using wire for brooder bottom?

I've seen it done several times.
frow.gif

My first ever chicks are due the 26th and that's the setup I've got, however, I was considering switching to half inch wire. I was given the brooder by someone who raises quail. He, and the farm center man, suggested that half inch would be better for the chickens because their poop wouldn't drop thru the quarter inch wire. Any thoughts?

I've seen loads of pictures of people using wire mesh over newspaper. I'm not sure what gauge of mesh it was though. I think either the small stuff or the bigger stuff should be fine. Can't see why there would be any problems with it...

I used wire rabbit cages for my brooding, I just covered the bottom with cardboard before I put the litter on so their little feet wouldn't get hurt or irritated.

You have to be careful with their legs getting hung up in larger wire.
They lay down and their elbow goes through the openings, sometimes they get caught, and then for some "chicken reason" they seem to get a toe under there and then try to bring it up through the next opening. They can be crippled for life if they struggle too much, or they can be trampled by the other chicks and die.

We only use the small wire until they are bigger. For the first week or so, we put layers of newspaper down and cover it with paper towels. We put them in the dirt floor brooders as soon as we have room for them. I haven't had one pasty butt brooding chicks on the dirt floors with shredded paper or shavings as bedding.

Jean

Back
Top Bottom