Usual Position Chickens Are Found Dead In?

ClareScifi

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
I just read an old post by someone who said she found her chicken dead in a position that is not the usual one chickens are found dead in, and that got me wondering what position chickens are usually found dead in? I've never found a dead chicken. Mine died while I was away on vacation, and my neighbor buried her. But the neighbor described the position he found her in, and I'm wondering whether it is the usual one or not? I'm still trying to figure out what caused her death.

Thanks for your help,

Clare

Hope you do not mind that I attached a picture of the position I found Lucy in. I can delete it at your request.

I found my Lucy, a 5 month old Cuckoo Marans, laying on the floor in the coop when I went to let the girls out in the morning. Her legs were bent under her and her feet curled. (Her roosting position.) Her head was tucked under her to one side. Today is 1 month since she passed.

I did take her to my vet who sent her for a necropsy. Said she was a very healthy gal they noted. They did find lesions in her intestines which they believe was caused by the gallium-bacteria (all chickens have this in their systems along with other bacterias) that went awry in her system. Said it probably caused her to go septic and she died in her sleep. Dr. said this was a bizarre thing that happened. She was my first loss.

Lucy- March 7, 2011 ~ August 8, 2011 RIP
66234_img_2158.jpg

66234_img_2578.jpg

Thanks so much for posting this picture of Lucy. What a pretty girl she was! I'm so sorry for your loss. Your photo is very helpful. Anyone else have photos to share?

I'm feeling nearly certain heat stroke got my dear girl while I was away.

Can anyone post a photo of a chicken that was found dead of a heat stroke? I would like to know whether the position it was in matches the position my neighbor described finding my chicken in, dead. Thanks for your help.

Clare

no pictures, but in general their feet/legs are curled up against their bodies. Sometimes neck is stretched out, sometimes not.

Mine looked like that when it died. I think it may have died of a heat stroke
I have found one in the nesting boxes that looked like that. I think it was egg bound

I have found 3 in the past in a position like Lucy, only I don't remember if the head was tucked. A few were found sprawled out. So you can't really tell how they died by position, although Lucy looks like she just went to sleep and never woke up.

Sorry about Lucy.

Back
Top Bottom