utah zone

ikatiemay

Songster
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
Eden Utah
we have chickens but we live in the county. Our son lives in Ogden Utah and the city just denied them to have chickens. The reason was that the city has to high of an imigrant population (whatever that means) and the powers that be were afraid they would have a cock fighting problem. My son said how about just hens and they said that would also be a problem because the city would become one big chicken coop covered in poop! Sometimes when you are dealing with city fathers you have to take their silly ideas and move on!!

That's nuts. I used to live in Ogden, Utah. Those excuses are stupid, but what do the laws say? That is what you need to go by, not someone's uninformed comments. Read the laws/ordinances for the area and wave them around in city officials' faces to get your point across if they have no restrictions against chickens.

I was at the Ogden Council meeting where the chicken ordinance came up and was denied. The Mayor did state his fear that given Ogden's big mexican population, that we would have a lot of chickens in the city. The ordinance did not pass, not just because of the Mayor, the other members voted against it as well.
My town, Riverdale, just denied a chicken ordinance. Win some, lose some, I'm still keeping my chickens.

Stockton here in Tooele county. No ordinances against chickens and no HOA against chickens. I haven't seen this county over run or covered in "poo". I'm with speckled hen, check the ordinances for your city/county and see if the council members are full of "poo".

Last edited:
cool.png

I'm a mind of know the ordinance then do what you have to,
gig.gif

I'd get a copy of the minutes of that particular meeting and give them to the news stations and a good attorney. Maybe the ALCU, how racist is it when they denigrate a minority as a whole.
duc.gif

Slinky

Our fair city of Ogden (son & fam live there) actually has city employees driving around and leaving citations at peoples residences!! Our son, (the same one that was told NO CHICKENS) took his christmas tree out the front door for his wife and was going to take it to green waste after work, by the time he got home he had a citation and was told if the tree was standing in the front yard the next day he would have a $150.00 fine! LMC (forum friend) lives in Riverdale next to Ogden and are up against the same issue with chickens, Riverdale even made the front page of the paper today. Lets all wish LMC well, let us know LMC what happens ok?

CONGRADS!!! Glad Riverdale went the dont ask dont tell way, now if Mayor Godfrey gets his blimp maybe ogden can have chickens??

Back
Top Bottom