Utah!

Quote:
The chicken?
gig.gif

Can you seperate them to see who's laying? Maybe look at the vent?

My wife commented on how "chattery" ours are getting lately. Told her that's a good sign.

Are the 2 eggs you got smaller about the same, or larger than store bought 'large' eggs?

Marty

Quote:
Are you looking for a roo, or chicks? I'm in Fillmore and I have an extra roo, and should have some chicks poppin out this week.

The problem with northern and southern Utah get togethers is what do those of us in the middle do? lol

Are you going to have white Silkie Chicks? I would totally be interested
smile.png

Yup we are kinda in the middle here too, I am only about 50 minutes away from Fillmore.

They're smaller but I understand that that's normal until they get the hang of it. We got another one this morning...so we have 2 dark brown and 1 lite brown. You'll know when they lay by the LOUD squawking......I mean LOUD. They stop when we go out to see what they've got for us. Time to eat.....bacon and EGGS!!!!

Quote:
Since by that date rolls around, my ladies will be closing in on 17 weeks, guess I'll have lots of laying questions since you and yfchoice will be experts by then.
smile.png

Quote:
The chicken?
gig.gif

Can you seperate them to see who's laying? Maybe look at the vent?

My wife commented on how "chattery" ours are getting lately. Told her that's a good sign.

Are the 2 eggs you got smaller about the same, or larger than store bought 'large' eggs?

Marty

Our RIRs started being more vocal when they started laying. Now, when they're ready to lay, they start making a low sort of growling sound. If you happen to go in the coop when they're about to lay, they scream at you - loud! They squawk and cluck and almost crow until the egg is laid, then they walk out of the coop and get busy scratching/eating again.

They've been laying for about a month and most of our RIRs eggs were the size of large store eggs. They're getting bigger, though, and we've gotten a few double yolk-ers that are huge!

Um, this may seem dumb, but how can you tell a chicken is laying by looking at her vent? I haven't tried that yet.

Last edited:
Quote:
They're supposed to be wider than a non-laying hen. But then again, I haven't tried it either.

I've also read that you can put food coloring on the vent, and see what eggs come out that color.

I guess that's a possibility if you really had to know who's eggs are whos... <---- (Marty said, scratching his head...)
hu.gif

I know i have about 2 months to wait (August will probably be the earliest they're ready), and am totally excited for that first egg. I think all my friends will be so sick of hearing me talk about my chickens by then that they won't even register that I'm soo happy all over a simple egg.

It'll still be amazing though. My Mom finally came over and saw my coop for the first time, and she was floored with how pretty my chickens are. Made me feel like a proud dad.

They're all EE / Americanas from IFA. The girls are the classic reddish brown with tan/orange and black.

The boys are ... different. One is white with black flecks, and one is dark rust with black and a bit of while on his head. Let me see if I have pictures of them anywhere.

If this works, the two roos are in the middle with two girls on the left, one hiding in the back, and one on the right.

Run%20fenced%20in%20009.jpg

The whole album can be seen here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/i8Boots/FirstTimeOutside?feat=directlink

love.gif
- they're beautiful! Ours have those silly ear tufts too, but they are different colors than yours. Isn't it amazing all the different colors they come in!

Back
Top Bottom