Utah!

Congratulations SDW! I am so happy for you. Pfft to that neighbor. He will be jealous and want chickens when he sees your setup :)

Cynthia--the lav looks exactly like my smaller one....girls I think! Mine looks like the same size. I agree on the slower to mature....by BA is way bigger, and younger. and that little splash I got from your hatch with the chipmunk and where you lost the black----teeny tiny. She is older than the EE's and she is about half their size, about 1/3 size of the lavs. Teeny and super cute. My daughter named her Willow :)

NO I did not know any of that so never think I know this stuff haha! I am glad you are telling me for sure. I was thinking if I put these eggs in 5 days after I set the others, the others would be done and hatch---then I could "lockdown" the second batch...after getting whatever chicks/eggs out from the first batch would that work?

Lisa! I feel like such a copy cat after reading your signature LOL I remember admiring your page awhile back with your pretty coop & big backyard. Then just now I read your siggy again & you're wanting a FBCM and a blue egg layer which is exactly what I'm going after right now lol You have a wonderful mix of hens already - are your blue wyandottes pretty? I have gold & silver laced and love them, they're beautiful, but never seen a blue up close. And totally jealous that you have eggs too that you're hatching - one day when I'm not chasing a ton of littles around I want to try that. I've watched friends do it and have loved living vicariously though them.

Last edited:
I had to laugh when I saw your post, I was like "right on!" haha.
Yes the blues are pretty--got them not too long ago from another BYC member here
in Utah. Here is a picture. The previous owner got a blue ribbon at the fair with one of these girls, I thought that was really cool :) If I get any to hatch you are welcome to any of them. I am not keeping them, just trying to get the hatching to work, my first time! Getting all the help I can here to figure it out :)

Never mind that SLW with one feather on her butt. Pretty funny lol It makes me laugh everytime I look at this picture :D

Last edited:
Oh.My.Goodness. I am laughing so hard over that one feather!!!
lau.gif
Poor girl!

And wow they ARE beautiful!!! Gosh I need a lot more space, sooo many birds I want. I think I'm going to put those on my wish list too, they are so "lady like" looking. And that IS cool that she got a blue ribbon for one of them - special girls you have there! I'm not caught up on the thread here, what breeds are you hatching?

Last edited:
The blue wyandottes. When I got them they were with a pure rooster, so they had fertile eggs. So the babies should be awesome if I can get them to work. Then the guy I bought them from bought my SLW and the GSL in the pic, they were getting out of the blues and into the SLW. Sweet girl, was getting picked on, will look nice when her feathers come back but man I would laugh everytime she would prance around. It was like the mean one would not take that last feather, leaving her the tiniest bit of dignity lol it is pretty funny. And her bum was just pink and bare all winter, lucky girl did not get frost bite haha :p

Thanks for the compliments on my girls, I am pretty happy with my ladies, they are a fun mix!

Last edited:
I would love one! Now to convince the cute husband that I NEED to drive to N. Utah to get the little fluff ball lol I'll be following along for sure - am excited for you & hope your hatch goes well! :)

Am glad your girl didn't get a frost bitten butt too - that would of been sooo unpleasant lol Poor little dear!

Quote:
Hi you guys!
frow.gif
I'm on the look out for some Black Copper Maran's and a blue egg layer like an Americana - do any of you know of somewhere local that might be selling these breeds, or an online (reputable) site that isn't out of stock? I think if I didn't want these two particular breeds they'd probably be readily available
tongue.png

LOVING all of the new baby pictures on the other page, sooo cute!

I know we have Black, Blue and white Copper Marans and Wheaten Ameraucanas being brought to the Chickenstock on May 5th in Idaho Falls.. Might find a few other breeds that are hard to find.. hint hint...

The T'ville planning Commission met tonight to rule on our application for four hens and they approved us for five! My neighbor behind us came and voiced his objections - horrible smell, ticks, noise, and hundreds of diseases that his two dogs will now be susceptible to. One of the commissioners said, "So you're voicing concern over things that actually haven't happened yet, and may never happen?" He just shrugged, then said he didn't want chickens in 'his back yard.' Maybe since it's his back yard I should start sending him a bill for part of my mortgagae. :) After the commission approved our permit, one of the commission members thanked him for coming and voicing his concern. He wadded up the agenda, threw it down and said, "Thanks for wasting my time!" Guess who won't be getting any eggs!!

After the meeting, I thanked them for their time. One of them said they've approved at least a dozen permits, almost all of them with concern from neighbors over smell and noise, but they've had no complaints after the chickens were actually on the properties. I told them I was sure they'd have their first from my neighbor. He'd complain no matter what. They all wished us luck and told us not to worry as long as we were in compliance with the ordinance. I told them we plan to be.

So, now I get to start building our coop this weekend!

Bad neighbors are the worst!!! unfortunately we have a couple of this variety bordering our 10 acres outside of town.. They thought it was bad last summer when I had about 20 roosters in the grow out pen just wait till this summer!!!!! It will probably be over 100!!! LOL

Quote:
I would love one! Now to convince the cute husband that I NEED to drive to N. Utah to get the little fluff ball lol I'll be following along for sure - am excited for you & hope your hatch goes well! :)

Am glad your girl didn't get a frost bitten butt too - that would of been sooo unpleasant lol Poor little dear!

Convince him to make a weekend of it and come all the way to Idaho Falls for the Chickenstock!!

Thanks Gypsy I will be crossing my fingers :)

Hey Cynthia, the digital says 97 and my two analog say 102. I was so worried before when they had gotten to 102 and probably 103 but this might mean it was not as hot as I thought :) So I am happy and being optimistic again. Yay!

Moving day has come for my chicks. Latter today it is out of the brooder and out to the coop. 7 weeks yesterday and out growing the brooder, Was going to wait till 8 weeks but cant wait any more. Changing the litter everyday getting old. They seem to be doing fine when I take them outside for a hour or so. Will put a 60w light out there but only turn on if we get another below freezing night in the next few weeks. I just need to do final leak test of their nipple watering system. It holds 2 gallons and will be sure they cant mess in their water. I want to thank all of you who provided input on the food question. I have decided that once out of the starter (about 2 more days) I will put them on grower till first egg then move them to layer. You all have been so helpful.

SDWarren, Congrats on your approval!!!!!! Your neighbor sounds wretched! Out of curiosity, do you hear his dogs bark? I'm glad the council was so supportive of you.

Watermelon, are you going to get your BCM from Steve or from Sunnybrooke?

UtahChickenDad WOOT!!!! on your chickens going outside. I'm sure they'll be fine. I put my chicks out a good week or two ago (they were hatched on 2/6). I kept them locked in the coop for the first few days with a 100 watt bulb. Now, the light just comes on from dusk to dawn. I had to physically take them out and put them back in the coop for the first 4 days or so, but they've now gotten the hang of it.

Cynthia, I agree with you that your lav is totally a girl. Are you going to be selling all of your eggs that are getting ready to hatch?

Lisa, I'm crossing my fingers that those blue wyandotte eggs hatch. I think that would be so cool.

Back
Top Bottom