Utah!

I've had my garden going for at least a few weeks. I just cover the plants I'm worried about when it gets below freezing. I've been saving milk jugs and cutting the bottoms off, then putting them over the more tender plants out there. You can take the lid off to vent, and they work nice. Like a mini greenhouse.

That is such a fantastic idea! My kids drink milk like it's going out of style. I'm going to start saving all those jugs!

Cynthia12 I grew up in Nephi, and I know some of the Worwoods
smile.png
it's a nice little town.

RedIII I know some of the Gadds from Nephi too! I went to school with some of the Worwoods and a couple of Gadds.
wink.png

Ok, let's see...Mryle, and Edward..the mom and dad to ...Scott, Marty, Tammy, Tony, and Skip. :) Worwood's...

Some uncles.. Dale, Gay, Carl, Verl, :)

Question on broilers for those who purchased....

I ordered fm my feedstore (small mom & pop) they get fm Ideal. I've been on waitlists for speckled sussex and checked IFAs and they have been missing out of many orders for that breed (hatcheries say a continued bad hatch, hmmm.).

Anyhows, this yr I got 12 meaties, 1 up and died at a wk old. #2 developed the chest infection I mentioned earlier (antibotics & isolation and she seems to be doing well...but tagged for nonhuman).

Last wk I had one that acted "lame". No sign of injury, swelling, etc but after a couple days she moved less and less. So she's in the house now, moving not an inch but has access to water and regulated feed. Today I find #4, same thing. It's more alert but doesn't want to move so brought her in. Chick #3 appears to be on her way out, even flops to the side. I was trying to get a couple more wks out of her and then processing... but now I'm concerned about consumption.

I have ordered at least 50 meaties last couple yrs and have NEVER had this issue. I'm aware they have leg/heart issues but these birds aren't so huge yet. And my birds are healthy, active, laying well (meaties are in their own coop), etc.

Do you think the GMO corn thing has finally hit production birds? I know last year large turkeys at the groc store were far and few.

Would you eat these birds if they make it another couple wks? Right now they are just too small to process imo and the odds of 4 in 12 is not good. Thanks for any advice!

Elk

Cynthia12 I know Skip, and I'm sure I probably know most of the others...I'm just horrible with names lol! I know Lynn, (not sure you know him) but I went to school with his younger boys.
smile.png

Skip, is my husband's brother.

Lynn is my husband's Uncles...son. Uncle Dale. It's a small world, and a small state. :)

Abko, it works great! I just give mine a light rinse with soap water and they're good to go. I planted a young zucchini under one yesterday and was worried it might be too old, but it's taken to its new nursery just fine.

McPherson rings a bell, but I'm afraid I'm hardly ever in Nephi :/ pooh.

Elk, I wonder if it's a diet issue. Are you feeding them that grower for broilers? And, I saw SS at IFA the other day. When I go to get my turkeys, would you like me to grab one for you if they have some?

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm in Layton and my Silkie has gone broody again (no surprise there). Where would you recommend I get fertile eggs for her to hatch?

Thx Amber

Back
Top Bottom