Utah!

I have some of the cutest little self blues...lavender, and now I'm thinking I did get a mottled .. cochins.

I have more cochins in the bator. Oh .. I didn't show my latest shipment of eggs..Not sure any of these are going to work, even after I washed some..candling here and there..a lot of broken air sacs..imagine that. :(

He had them in this, in a box of course. When saw the box
I thought..hmm..then I saw this and though..oh oh...egg yolk!

He had wrapped them good..a few of the big bubble wrap had
popped..egg yolk was everywhere!

Looks like only the broken ones would be the problem..but
that yolk went all underneath, in all of the cartons..there were
broken ones, and yolk mess. They were just barnyard mix,
but was hoping for some fun laying hens out there this fall
and next winter. There were two full doz. and a half a doz. in cartons.
All had yolk throughout.

With the ones that weren't smashed, just cracked, I opened and check for fertility. All four that I did were fertile. So, hoping I get some to hatch. The guy was upset at first. Said, I sent you a doz. extra..(only the half doz.) then said that should cover the broken ones, but, did offer to send me another doz.
I think he took a better look at these photos I sent him. Said some other things in another email, then asked me what I wanted him to do. I just said don't send anymore right now. We'll see what happens in a week. I really don't think I will get too many out of this. To top it off..it took 5 days to get here..tracking showed it going the wrong way at first!
Sadly, that pretty blue one up there had a broken air sac.
One thing I got to see that I never have. One of the eggs tip broke off, just the shell part. I could actually see the air bubbles floating in there. You can always see it in the candling, but I've never had shell peeled back to actually see it. I used to think it was fluid floating at the top! Yes I did. What we learn as we do this. I even asked sellers, why would I be seeing fluid in the top of the egg when I candle? lol......

Welcome, jjengebretson! Congrats on the new chicks :) Watch out for that chicken math. It'll get ya ;)

Okay you guys, stop. You're making me want to pull out my incubator and redeem myself, and that cannot be going on. All we're going to have for a while are a few egg layers that DH wanted and picked out.

Birdman, do you still have Sweet Cheeks? I always loved her name. Just wondered. Sorry some of your girls have the sniffles.

Welcome, jjengebretson! Congrats on the new chicks :) Watch out for that chicken math. It'll get ya ;)

Okay you guys, stop. You're making me want to pull out my incubator and redeem myself, and that cannot be going on. All we're going to have for a while are a few egg layers that DH wanted and picked out.

Birdman, do you still have Sweet Cheeks? I always loved her name. Just wondered. Sorry some of your girls have the sniffles.
yes i still have her :) she is an old lady now. i still get two or three eggs a week

Hello! I am new from Woods Cross. I have been following BYC for a little and learned a bit.

Just got an application from the city, and it says 10 hens! We probably would just raise 4 or so to fill our taste for eggs.

My wife is a bit concerned about the communicable disease, etc., and I wonder if people have knowledge of how often those come around, and should be a real concern?

Thanks everyone!
A bit late but heres my 2 cents. When the kids are around chickens or you hanld eggs make sure that they keep their hands washed Other than that most diseases can't be transmitted. I assume you was was conceren about people not chickens LOL

Hello from Sunny AZ to all as I hear about the snow there i am really glad im here. My hens are doing great very happy here. I bought them large coop and they love it, I put a chair out by the coop and all the neighbors visit them they bring their cats and dogs on leashes to visit them their grand kids kids etc. The chickens are very spoiled as everyone gives them treats. When I first got the new coop the door kept opening and the chickens would get out but they stayed right by the coop and took dirt baths. We finally gor a new latch as I was afraid a dog would kill them so now they only come out when I let them out and 'im out with them they are pretty cute. We'll be back to Utah first part of april. I'm showing my horse in a big horseshow at West World in Scottsdale then shipping her home I'm following a few weeks later.

I used to have chickens in Cottonwood Heights but that was several years ago. Now I am in Syracuse and I'm ready to start building a fast/cheap coop! I would love to hear from anyone who is nearby and maybe even willing to let me come scope out their set-up in person!

I look forward to meeting you!

Victoria

yes i still have her :) she is an old lady now. i still get two or three eggs a week

Yay! Good girl :) I remember how much personality she showed when I came to visit. I love how spoiled your girls are. Such happy girls.

Well, we did it. We got three little BR babies today from Cal Ranch and I cleaned out the big coop for the preteens (which DH raccoon proofed for me) And of course I forgot to get another heat bulb while we were at the store. Oh well. DH needs to get a part at TSC, so I'll get bulbs there. Here is hoping that the majority of our raccoon and predator problems are behind us, at least for a while!

[COLOR=333333]I used to have chickens in Cottonwood Heights but that was several years ago. Now I am in Syracuse and I'm ready to start building a fast/cheap coop! I would love to hear from anyone who is nearby and maybe even willing to let me come scope out their set-up in person![/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]I look forward to meeting you![/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Victoria[/COLOR]

Welcome, Victoria! Glad to hear you are getting back into the wonderful world of chickens :) I am clear out in Tooele land, but what we did for our first coop was to just get a large wooden box and convert it into a small coop, when we had a few birds. Just put a roof on, cut vent holes and a door, and voila. Now we have a large play shed that we turned into a coop. It's great :)

Welcome, Victoria! Glad to hear you are getting back into the wonderful world of chickens
smile.png
I am clear out in Tooele land, but what we did for our first coop was to just get a large wooden box and convert it into a small coop, when we had a few birds. Just put a roof on, cut vent holes and a door, and voila. Now we have a large play shed that we turned into a coop. It's great
smile.png
Hey Whit so good to see you post Glad all is well

Back
Top Bottom