Utah!

I wanted one too. They're supposed to be naturally resistant to marek's, but they're also supposed to be really flighty. So I figure I'll wait a while.

Not yet, but I want one!

Ok, just curious. We will have a few runs for animals once we get to Delta, so I'm toying with the idea of getting a couple of different breeds. Fayoumis sounded interesting. There are others I would look at, too, like Vorwerks or Lakenvelders, but that's all a ways down the road. I'm still interested in quail or pheasants once we get to that point.

I've always thought that pheasant would be fun since the day I went to look at a hen years ago. This man had beautiful pheasant running around his back yard!! In a neighborhood. They were beautiful. Just like the ones you get a glimpse of here in Utah..or when hunting.

Oh, guess I missed out on the part where you are moving to Delta! I like it there. Very small town. No big city. :)

Last edited:
puppy-dayFTLTD.jpg

I've always thought that pheasant would be fun since the day I went to look at a hen years ago.  This man had beautiful pheasant running around his back yard!!   In a neighborhood.  They were beautiful.   Just like the ones you get a glimpse of here in Utah..or when hunting. 

Oh, guess I missed out on the part where you are moving to Delta!   I like it there.  Very small town.  No big city.   :)  

That's what we like, too :) Lots of space, and we could do crops and a farm. I like pheasants because of their plumage and I could see myself raising them as meat birds. The one problem I have run across is that they need lots of space, or I hear they turn cannibalistic :/ But we do have space a'plenty in Delta!

I also would like guineas at some point. Looooud.

Guineas..are loud! My grandmother had neighbors with them, but they may as well have been hers. They always came over to her property. She didn't mind. Ugly little faces, pretty feathers. They are little tattle tails when anything comes around, which could be good at times. They would always make noise when us kids went way out back of her place where the ducks, geese, and they were. :)

Well, we'll have plenty of space for them to run around, and only one neighbor. I'd want the guineas for pest control, but I do understand that the hawks out there figure out they are tasty every few months, so they'd probably be in a run most of the time :/ I've also considered peafowl and geese. All loud birds, but some are useful as watchdogs. One of the former owners of the house had 12 emus there. I've heard they're excellent guard animals, as well.

Cynthia, I wish you could come with me to the feed stores here to scratch out bin names. I'm sick of seeing EE's advertised as Ameraucanas!

Well, we'll have plenty of space for them to run around, and only one neighbor. I'd want the guineas for pest control, but I do understand that the hawks out there figure out they are tasty every few months, so they'd probably be in a run most of the time
hmm.png
I've also considered peafowl and geese. All loud birds, but some are useful as watchdogs. One of the former owners of the house had 12 emus there. I've heard they're excellent guard animals, as well.

Cynthia, I wish you could come with me to the feed stores here to scratch out bin names. I'm sick of seeing EE's advertised as Ameraucanas!

Just do it..take a red pen with you to the store next time. lol

I have a friend that had Lamas walking around out there with is flock. Man, it was strange to go out there and all of a sudden have this huge animal standing in front of you. He said they were great guard animals. He had 2 of them. One was more friendly, right up to your face!

Back
Top Bottom