Utility Kings vs. Hubbell vs. Texas Pioneer Squabbing - Info and Leads

BFFpoultry

In the Brooder
May 29, 2017
Illinois, USA
My Coop
My Coop
We are expanding our farm enterprise into squabbing (we have a strong local interest for it), and I am looking for 2 things:
  1. Insight into the benefits, cons, and squabbing abilities of Utility Kings, Hubbells, and Texas Pioneer Pigeons (or other breeds/hybrids that can throw large squab consistently)
  2. Leads on where I can purchase multiple pairs (willing to travel a bit to go get them, too; we are located near the IL-WI border)
We are currently in the process of converting our old chicken coop into several pigeon lofts, so we are looking to purchase sometime late March to April. Any insight or help would be much appreciated!

Note: This is not a debate about the merits of squabbing. We know not all pigeon lovers approve of squabbing, but we firmly believe that breeds bred for utility should do just that - be a utility animal. If you don't like it, please don't post.

We are expanding our farm enterprise into squabbing (we have a strong local interest for it), and I am looking for 2 things:
  1. Insight into the benefits, cons, and squabbing abilities of Utility Kings, Hubbells, and Texas Pioneer Pigeons (or other breeds/hybrids that can throw large squab consistently)
  2. Leads on where I can purchase multiple pairs (willing to travel a bit to go get them, too; we are located near the IL-WI border)
We are currently in the process of converting our old chicken coop into several pigeon lofts, so we are looking to purchase sometime late March to April. Any insight or help would be much appreciated!

Note: This is not a debate about the merits of squabbing. We know not all pigeon lovers approve of squabbing, but we firmly believe that breeds bred for utility should do just that - be a utility animal. If you don't like it, please don't post.
Utility kings being a heavy breed aren’t going to be the best at flying and perching so their nestboxes will probably have to be set up quite low to the ground or even on the ground. I’m not quite sure if they are an aggressive breed, but that may need to be taken into note for squabbing as if they are they may attack the other pairs squabs and cause injuries. I’m not sure if this information is very helpful.

On Hubble Pigeons @JLfarm has kept them along with the other two utility breeds and on the thread “Hubble Pigeons” has compared the breeds.
View attachment 1567668 View attachment 1567669 View attachment 1567670 View attachment 1567671 I want to start a post about the Hubble pigeon. I find that there is little to no information on this breed and maybe there are some people out there looking for an ideal squabing pigeon, hopefully this will give them a great idea on where to start. I love this breed and it is by far in my opinion the best squabing pigeon. I’ve raised both kings and Texans and they still out produce the both of them. The Hubble comes in many different color patterns and are a very nice sized bird. They were first bred by a king breeder named Hubble ( hints the name ) and the original Hubbles were white and as the years passed, the colors were added in. So if anyone out there raises this breed please post pics of your birds and your lofts for those who have never heard of this breed. I am hoping that this will help make the Hubble a well known breed.

Utility kings being a heavy breed aren’t going to be the best at flying and perching so their nestboxes will probably have to be set up quite low to the ground or even on the ground. I’m not quite sure if they are an aggressive breed, but that may need to be taken into note for squabbing as if they are they may attack the other pairs squabs and cause injuries. I’m not sure if this information is very helpful.

On Hubble Pigeons @JLfarm has kept them along with the other two utility breeds and on the thread “Hubble Pigeons” has compared the breeds.
utility Kings are actually a decent flyer given their large size. They will do fine with nests off the ground.

Back
Top Bottom