UV light for egg desinfection?

Lady Gallina

Chirping
Jan 20, 2023
Southern Germany
Hello,
I'm about to receive my first eggs to put them under my broody. Right now I'm doing my homework reading like everything there is for this adventure.
Apparently many people clean there eggs between varying degrees of 'just rub it' , 'actually wash with water' or 'desinfect with detergent '. However there are endless discussions to 'not do that, it will destroy the eggs self protection' to 'if you don't clean, you'll get deseases that kill the flock'. Of course there's a lot of gray between those two black and white positions... But has anyone ever tried to desinfect the eggs with UV light ? I don't intend to put the eggs into the sun, but with a lamp? Most bacteria, viruses or even worm eggs should die in UV light, shouldn't they? But does the light affect the egg? Or hatch rates?
Thanks for any answers or ideas,
:frow

I have zero experience with uv light sterilization, but have tried the peroxide wash. It didn't seem to increase anything special but I have seen studies that say the peroxide can kill bacteria (like salmonella) inside the egg and is patented by the big hatchers. I just didn't see results that make it worth the work.

However there are endless discussions to 'not do that, it will destroy the eggs self protection' to 'if you don't clean, you'll get deseases that kill the flock'. Of course there's a lot of gray between those two black and white positions..
Exactly, lots of gray area between the two extremes. Cleaning them can compromise the bloom which helps keep bacteria out. That does not mean bacteria will get inside of them and ruin them, but it is more likely. Saying you will absolutely get a disease if you don't clean them is pretty harsh. In nature anything is possible but in my experience and opinion the risk of actually getting a disease by setting eggs is highly unlikely.

The hatcheries do not set eggs under broody hens. They fumigate and sterilize the incubators and rooms they use. They practice strong biosecurity measures with anyone entering those rooms. A broody hen is walking in dirt and chicken poop before she goes back to the nest. You cannot equate setting under a broody hen to what they do in the hatcheries.

I do not know whether the UV light would affect the embryo inside the eggs. Probably not but I don't see a big benefit. Are you hatching your own eggs? If you are I see no benefit.

It sounds like you are hatching someone else's eggs. Chat with them about what diseases their chickens have. I don't know if they will tell you the truth or not but it won't hurt to ask. The odds are they will say none and it will be true as far as they know. I'd only set relatively clean eggs. A thin layer of dust or even dried poop would not bother me but a blob of poop or mud (even if dried) can compromise the bloom and house bacteria.

I could be wrong but for a backyard chicken breeder thats using broody hens (like myself) the less you handle the eggs the better. If I do use an incubator I just choose the cleanest best shaped eggs and put them directly in with no washing and have good results. Keep your coop and nest boxes clean.

Exactly, lots of gray area between the two extremes. Cleaning them can compromise the bloom which helps keep bacteria out. That does not mean bacteria will get inside of them and ruin them, but it is more likely. Saying you will absolutely get a disease if you don't clean them is pretty harsh. In nature anything is possible but in my experience and opinion the risk of actually getting a disease by setting eggs is highly unlikely.

The hatcheries do not set eggs under broody hens. They fumigate and sterilize the incubators and rooms they use. They practice strong biosecurity measures with anyone entering those rooms. A broody hen is walking in dirt and chicken poop before she goes back to the nest. You cannot equate setting under a broody hen to what they do in the hatcheries.

I do not know whether the UV light would affect the embryo inside the eggs. Probably not but I don't see a big benefit. Are you hatching your own eggs? If you are I see no benefit.

It sounds like you are hatching someone else's eggs. Chat with them about what diseases their chickens have. I don't know if they will tell you the truth or not but it won't hurt to ask. The odds are they will say none and it will be true as far as they know. I'd only set relatively clean eggs. A thin layer of dust or even dried poop would not bother me but a blob of poop or mud (even if dried) can compromise the bloom and house bacteria.
Great thanks for the long answer.
Yes, I will set someone else's eggs as we don't have a rooster yet. We started with a few pullets to learn the basics. Our own eggs look mostly perfectly clean when we collect them, I never really felt the need to wash them before storage. I hope the eggs I get will just look the same.
I guess I'll need to stop worrying so much and simply let mother nature take over. I'll ask the guy I'll get the eggs from about any deseases though... It probably won't hurt.
Thanks for the time :)

I could be wrong but for a backyard chicken breeder thats using broody hens (like myself) the less you handle the eggs the better. If I do use an incubator I just choose the cleanest best shaped eggs and put them directly in with no washing and have good results. Keep your coop and nest boxes clean.
Thank you,
That sounds like me. So I'll simply choose the best ones and stuff them under my broody.
Of course I'm back to waiting for a broody now... 'sigh ;)

i just dont use 'poopy' eggs lol .. its best to do nothing with them i think ... as far as introducing anything to your actual chickens from another place, especially in these times, i think your taking a risk .. id use a bator ...

Back
Top Bottom