Vacation and chicks

TheChickenChaser

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2024
Hello guys! I am planning to get chickens in early May, but as soon as summer starts, as early as June 10th or so when school let's out, there will be lots of vacations. I really want to bond with these guys and spend as much time as possible. How old should they be before I start going on vacation? Should I get them earlier to account for this? Thank you! And any ideas on how to keep them happy/safe during vacation? I was thinking a baby monitor possibly. Thanks!

We will have our grandmother taking care of them, but I don't think she is comfortable with letting them out by themselves. They will be in a large, secure coop with run.

I have a 4 week old speckled Sussex. And she is fully feathered. But my chicks seem to feather out faster than others usually. Anyway we will be going on vacation for a week at least. When our youngest chicks are about 2 months old. We have a friend taking care of them for us. Well actually a lot of different friends.

I have a 4 week old speckled Sussex. And she is fully feathered. But my chicks seem to feather out faster than others usually. Anyway we will be going on vacation for a week at least. When our youngest chicks are about 2 months old. We have a friend taking care of them for us. Well actually a lot of different friends.
Did that work for you? How did they react to you leaving on vacation?

I haven't noticed them being less tame when we get back from vacations. I think that if we handle them a lot before and after we get back that week that we are gone doesn't seem to make a difference. I guess that it depends on how long that your gone and how much you handle them before and after you get back. Chickens are actually a lot smarter than people usually think and they remember people's faces and what their experiences with you were like. They won't forget you in a week. My friends do a good job taking care of everything when we are traveling and on vacations.

I haven't noticed them being less tame when we get back from vacations. I think that if we handle them a lot before and after we get back that week that we are gone doesn't seem to make a difference. I guess that it depends on how long that your gone and how much you handle them before and after you get back. Chickens are actually a lot smarter than people usually think and they remember people's faces and what their experiences with you were like. They won't forget you in a week. My friends do a good job taking care of everything when we are traveling and on vacations.
Got it! I was just wondering if that would affect them when they were young. We would probably only be gone a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom