vaccinate new chicks or not??

preciouschick

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
south central PA
I am so highly confused about the vaccination. There are so many different opinions and write ups about to vax or not. I got Brown ISA chicks from TSC.They are a year and a half. I read they dont vax for mercks. I read chicks should be vaxed at a day old or dont bother. I read to not put vaxed with unvaxed, that the virus is in their dander and it can spread. I also read that the vaccination can cause the virus and therefore spread. I am hatching chicks and i am not sure if i should vaccinate them. All my other birds are unvaccinated. But these I will sell. should i vaccinate those? They are silkys.

From your position where you are at,,, it seems your grounds are free from the Mareks virus. All your other chickens are unvaxed, and alive, and well. When you sell your Silkie chicks,,,as long as the home they are going to is Mareks free, they will be fine. If the new home is Mareks present,,,,, the owners should only seek vaccinated chicks.

I have read articles such as you have,, and do understand the confusion. I am also not sure there is a definite answer to the claims, that the Mareks Vaccine can cause Mareks, but just not develop.

Lets see what some of the HEAVYWEIGHTS :old :gigsay,, ,, I say this jokingly,, but do mean the very knowledgeable peeps:frow that answer to the many posts in the "Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures" forums.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Why bother if you arent a commercial producer?

Edit: i missed the part wherr they are to sell. How large of an operation are you planning to grow? You will be introducing the disease if you vax, but it will prevent your entire flock from being wiped out overnight. To me the vax is for thousands of chickens sized operations, or locations wherr Mericks has been already known to exist.

The Mareks vaccine is leaky. It can spread to the rest of your flock if you vaccinate your chicks. In reality, it doesn’t prevent the disease, it hides the symptoms of it. In my mind, it’s better not to vaccinate because if they do get it, the symptoms will tell you there’s a problem. Therefore, since the vaccine doesn’t stop it, why bother?

I’ve sold chicks, no one has ever asked if they’re vaccinated for Mareks.

Why bother if you arent a commercial producer?

Edit: i missed the part wherr they are to sell. How large of an operation are you planning to grow? You will be introducing the disease if you vax, but it will prevent your entire flock from being wiped out overnight. To me the vax is for thousands of chickens sized operations, or locations wherr Mericks has been already known to exist.
just a hobbiest. doing it for myself and will sell extras. I will most definitely post at time of selling
that they are unvaxed.

From your position where you are at,,, it seems your grounds are free from the Mareks virus. All your other chickens are unvaxed, and alive, and well. When you sell your Silkie chicks,,,as long as the home they are going to is Mareks free, they will be fine. If the new home is Mareks present,,,,, the owners should only seek vaccinated chicks.

I have read articles such as you have,, and do understand the confusion. I am also not sure there is a definite answer to the claims, that the Mareks Vaccine can cause Mareks, but just not develop.

Lets see what some of the HEAVYWEIGHTS :old :gigsay,, ,, I say this jokingly,, but do mean the very knowledgeable peeps:frow that answer to the many posts in the "Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures" forums.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Well, I got vaccimated birds last year (had a scare) and before then, none of mine were vaccinated. No one is showing mareks signs though and I was assured that the vaccine would not spread mareks unless the birds ended up contracting it from other birds or a mareks environment

The vaccine does not cause Mareks or spread Mareks to other birds. This is a myth. Vaccinated birds though can still contract the disease and just not get as sick, potentially spreading it to unvaccinated birds. Much like human vaccines. I breed Silkies and I choose to vaccinate all my chicks, even though this adds to the expense of raising them. I do charge a bit more for my chicks then folks who do not vaccinate their birds because of this. I have had people ask specifically if I vaccinate my birds. Silkies are more susceptible to Mareks than some other breeds.
Do your research and decide what you want to do based on this.😊

The vaccine does not cause Mareks or spread Mareks to other birds. This is a myth. Vaccinated birds though can still contract the disease and just not get as sick, potentially spreading it to unvaccinated birds. Much like human vaccines. I breed Silkies and I choose to vaccinate all my chicks, even though this adds to the expense of raising them. I do charge a bit more for my chicks then folks who do not vaccinate their birds because of this. I have had people ask specifically if I vaccinate my birds. Silkies are more susceptible to Mareks than some other breeds.
Do your research and decide what you want to do based on this.😊
I bought 5 chickens at Rural King. They were very healthy for the first two years. Then one of them stopped eating for about two days. Then started eating again. I didn't think anything of it at first until another week went by and the chicken stopped eating and couldn't walk. I didn't even know anything about Merick's disease being new to raising chickens. The vet said she had a virus and gave her a shot, telling me to feed her water every day. He said if the shot helps then it is a regular virus, if not, it probably is Merick's disease, especially with the peralisis. Well, the shot didn't work and I lost her and another chicken to the disease. It is heart breaking! I didn't know Rural King didn't vaccinate for it or anything about the disease. I have three other chickens left that were exposed to it and wondering if they will get it also and die. Even though I am just a backyard chicken keeper for eggs, I love my chickens dearly and don't want to watch them die like that. One of the remaining chickens did loose her appitite for a couple of days but got better and is remaining energetic. Can a chicken get Merick's disease again after recovering from it? I will not buy anymore chickens from anyone who does not vaccinate for it. Thanks for any information.

Back
Top Bottom