Vaccinated against Marek's

itsybitsyfroggy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 18, 2012
I have 5 pullets right now- 3 are 8 months old and 2 are about 6 months old. I want to get more 4 more chicks from Dodge Grains. However the worker there said they usually don't carry chicks vaccinated against Marek's and 4 is too small of a number to order vaccinated. Is it worth it to get the vaccination? Should I just wait until MyPetChicken sells 4? (Right now they sell a minimum of 15) If one chicken catches the disease, will the whole flock get it? And how likely is it that my chickens will get the disease?

I've never had a vaccinated chick and never seen marek's. I understand it's more common in some areas than others. Your whole flock could get it even if they are vaccinated, as there are several strains and the vaccination doesn't work on all of them. So in the end it's a personal choice. Do your research then make our choice. And good luck, either way!

okay thank you!
smile.png

I've never had a vaccinated chick and never seen marek's. I understand it's more common in some areas than others. Your whole flock could get it even if they are vaccinated, as there are several strains and the vaccination doesn't work on all of them. So in the end it's a personal choice. Do your research then make our choice. And good luck, either way!
X 2!!!! I bought unvaccinated birds last year even though I had been assured they were vaccinated for Marek's. End of story is this...I lost over 85 birds because of this. Most vaccinated for the Marek's. Check with your State Vet and talk to others in your area. BUT!!! Big one, not everyone you talk to will even know what Marek's is, so talk to the State Vet and follow their recommendation. They should have a better handle of what is 'hot' in your area. Also...read, read and then read some more about Marek's. It's a nasty little virus to deal with and it never goes away. I highly recommend going through a hatchery that gives the vaccines for all 3 strains. It's kind of a pay now or pay later deal.

Back
Top Bottom