Vaccinating 2 week old chick?

agold23

Songster
May 25, 2021
I have a now closed flock of 7 with a silkie chick that hatched 2 weeks ago. They are now all currently battling a respiratory infection (we think MG) so we wont be getting any new birds. We are located in southwestern Ontario, cold winters and warm summers but we have pretty big predatory bug populations. I think that everyone except the chick is vaccinated against Mareks. I will have to check with the person we got them from whether they're vaccinated against anything else. I know now it's too late to vaccinate the chick for Mareks but I wanted to know if that's truly a bad thing and what else we should get vaccinated against as well.

I only vaccinate for Mareks, and I get them already vaccinated at the hatcheries. Mareks vaccine is best given at as day old chicks, since they need 2 weeks to develop immunity to Mareks once the vaccine is given. If Mareks is in the environment then giving it now might be too late. If you have older chickens and have never seen Mareks, then it may not be a problem in your area.

Back
Top Bottom