Vaccination timing between Marek's & Newcastle-Bronchitis?

Adenium

Songster
7 Years
Jan 28, 2012
Connecticut
Being worry-warts, we purchased vaccines for Marek's and Newcastle-Bronchitis before our baby chicks arrived. Given how tiny the silkies were on arrival (how does one tent skin that's barely there???), we waited until Saturday, nearly two weeks after the chicks arrived, to give the Marek's (they've been indoors all this time, careful handwashing etc., though I know that doesn't guarantee no exposure).

I figure I should now wait a bit before giving the Newcastle-Bronchitis, and went searching here to see how long a gap to leave. I found vaccination schedules that list both the Mareks vax and the N-B multiple times. Does this refer to multiple windows of time? Or suggest that both need to be repeated? I've heard that some repeat the Marek's vax for an attempt at greater efficacy, but haven't heard it mentioned for N-B, nor is a repeat dose mentioned on either set of manufacturer's instructions.

Soooo...

1) Does either vaccine really need a repeat? If I didn't pay $60 between the products and the shipping, this would be more viable, but why torture my chicks again if not needed?

2) If you're giving both, how long should you wait between?

I wish we could be giving our chicks outside time, but of course I need to let the Marek's vax percolate for the 10-14 days....and then who knows with the N-B. They're going to be ready to go in the coop before getting out period! I was shocked at how little skin there was to work with, though - it was traumatic enough yesterday never mind trying shots in the first couple days after arrival. Maybe I had weird runts, but sheesh.

Back
Top Bottom