vaccinations- scared and confused

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by missychicky, Jun 27, 2010.

1. missychicky

missychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    I have a broody on 3 eggs and I am FREAKED about giving them vaccinations. Whete do I get them? Can I get just enough for 3 chicks and no more? what is the risk of injuring them while giving them the shot? how many/what kinds do I need? Does it hurt the poor little fuzzbuts? Can I pay someone to do it for me? How much would it cost? How DO you give them the shot? GAAAA HELP ME!!!

2. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I've had chickens for years, some I hatched myself, some from my broody hens, some I got from a hatchery and some I bought as little hatchlings and I've never vaccinated, or had vaccinated any of them. Maybe I'm just lucky but I've never lost a hen to any illness you can vaccinate for.

3. YB192004

YB192004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
    As long as you keep everything clean all the time then you don't have to vaccinate them. Too much medications will do your flock more harm than good.

4. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    I agree, the chicks will be fine. I don't think I've read on people vaccinating birds themselves [​IMG]

Unless you have gotten new birds that might be sick or your flock might have something there really isn't a reason too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by