vaccine baby chicks

luckygarden

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Leander TX
Can i give a vaccination to a week old chicks (vaccine to prevent marek disease)

If yes, how do i do it? I read from Jefferslivestock.com, just inject under the skin into the back of the neck.
Should I just bring this baby to my dog's doctor and let him do it

usually I bought baby chicks and vaccine already included
this is for my new babies hatched 5 days ago and I forgot about vaccine until I browse Jeffers' site

You might be able to get away with it if they have been in absolute quarantine, but no guarantees. Have they been exposed to the outdoors or older chickens? Was the brooder sanitized? Do you store their feed in the house, rsther thsn the coop? Have you made sure that you wash your hands before handling them? Have made sure that you are not wearing the same clothes handling them that you wore in the coop? If they have been properly quarantined, I would vaccinate them. I know of quite a few experienced poultry people that vaccinate at a few days old rather than as day olds.

Hi thanks for the reply, the babies still in my living room, they hatched from incubator, they looks healthy, I stored their food inside the house and nobody touch them except me and I always clean my hand before and after handling them. I changed their bedding every other day, water I replace everyday, food I refill when empty

we are going away for 10 days next week, friend of us will come maybe 2-3 times to check the babies and feed the big chickens
i am afraid they will get sick, just in case my friend forgot to change their bedding

Do you think it will be okay without vaccine when i move them to the coop ( when they are 6-8 weeks old)

The sooner you can do it the better. Here are the detailed instructions for doing it yourself:

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/mdvac.htm

Are they on medicated starter for Cocci? If you're worried about their bedding while you're gone, it's cocci you have to worry about, not Mareks.

1,000 doses?!?!
I only need 6 (at most)
anyplace to get smaller quantities?

Can you vaccinate against Cocci or just give them medicated chick starter?
What't the name of the ingredient in the starter that protects them from Cocci?

Thanks - I know I'm "counting my chickens"
roll.png
as we still have 2weeks to go, but I want to be ready.

Feel free to PM me with info if thats easier

I need to know about my baby chicks. We have had them five weeks and they were approx. a week old. The were started on dumor chick starter. I recently purchased the Save a chick combo pack after given advised from TSC. Its probiotic and electrolyte packs. I give one one day and them the other another day. We have six chicks and they are growing likes weeds. Is there something else I should be giving them??? They are only taking car of by myself.
thanks for any help

Sounds like TSC likes to sell stuff. I can see purchasing that stuff for day olds who are getting started, but 5 weeks old? IMO, overkill. I like to help my chicks develop their immune systems by giving them exposure to the soil they will be encountering when they move out into the big world. I'm glad they are growing well. When will you be able to move them to their coop?

My chicks were about two weeks old when I used the stuff from TSC. I only had 6 so I was told to cut in half and put in half gallon of water. What other vaccine should I use on them???

Where can I get it??? Tsc??
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom