Vague Signs of GI Issue - Best Course of Action?

May 29, 2019
Hello! My 3 y/o Buff Orpington, Glory, recently quit laying. Around this time I've also noticed an uptick of shed intestinal lining in her poop, and have observed her eating less than usual (though still eating/drinking enough). Beyond that, her behavior seems normal. So, what is the best course of action? Dewormers? Antibiotics? I have Valbazen, Safeguard, Baytril, and Fish Mox on hand. I'll be picking up lactose-free kefir for probiotics tonight. Glory has a very special place in my heart and I want to make sure I'm proactive while she still seems to be doing okay. Thank you!
0-2.jpg

My Orpington would always lay for a while than take a break for a while. Stopping egg production, especially in the heat of summer isn't unusual. I wouldn't worry as long as she acting fine.

Sometimes they eat less when it's warmer out, so providing a higher protein ration may help keep up production.

My Orpington would always lay for a while than take a break for a while. Stopping egg production, especially in the heat of summer isn't unusual. I wouldn't worry as long as she acting fine.

Sometimes they eat less when it's warmer out, so providing a higher protein ration may help keep up production.
That's heartening to know. When two others stopped laying (production breeds) it was a red flag--they shortly succumbed to eyp and internal laying. But in their cases they still acted like they were laying with no result. On the other hand, Glory's comb has shrunken, she no longer squats, and has no interest in the nesting box.

She did have bad poopy butt so I'm thinking her and some others may be dealing with vent gleet. I bathed and trimmed her up. How bad does this look?
20220703_091038.jpg
20220703_094030.jpg
20220703_093515.jpg

Back
Top Bottom