Valley and Gamble pen??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by DomC, Jul 24, 2011.

1. DomC

DomC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2010
    Las Vegas
    So I have decided to try and build a new pen to house Valley's and Gambles. I have drawn up this quick drawing. Not sure if this would work or not. Please let me know what you pro's think. I was thinking maybe housing 4 pairs on each side. The reaseaon I put plywood sheating on sides is because they'll be facing West-East. The sun bad here.

[​IMG]

Thanks

Dom

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    MAKE YOUR HIEGHT 6FT TALL AND DOUBLE DECK IT AND DOUBLE YOUR HOUSING SPACE [​IMG]

3. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    dont put them together read that in baby voice.

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    there is another breeder close to me has them barely smaller then that but he runs like 2 -3 roosters and 7-8 hens and he has been doing good with that all his eggs are fertile I just hatched 25/30 from his gambles

5. DomC

Oct 31, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Yeah I figured it be small. I am just so limited in my yard. I like your idea JJMR794.. I just need to figure out a tray for top level, So the bottom birds don't get poop on there heads. I might lower it a foot closer to the ground. I don't want it to be above cmu wall. I'll revise the drawing in the morning and post it up.

Thanks

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    not sure how hot it gets where you are but the metal roofing you have spec'd will run a lot hotter the the white plastic stuff I have been using

7. DomC

Oct 31, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Ok made a few changes.. Anyone have have any pic's of double deck pen showing poop catcher? I was just thinking a couple pull out shelf's fill with sand or wood chips.

[​IMG]

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    That'll Work.. Just Be Sure To Enclose The Area Under The Pen So Predators Cant Get Under There... Box It In With Plywood Or Just Wrap Around The Outside Of The Legs With A Good Wire... Anything Really, Just So Nothin Gets Under Your Pens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by