Vanilla Air Freshner????

Amazingly, last year they literally drove the flies out of our coops. This year, the flies are lighting on them!!
roll.png
Don't know what the difference is. We are spraying the coops and runs about 3 times a week with pyrethrin barn spray and that has helped immensely.

Also, I bought some of these cans of fly spray and put them in Airwick household automatic air freshener dispensers. I put one in each coop and set them to spray every 18 minutes. WOW...what a difference.

9079_countryvet_fly_spray.jpg

Last edited:
Those vanilla thing really help. They have to be the tree ones. The thing that helps the best are Fly Predators. They are tiny little bugs that you sprinkle around your yard and they eat fly larvae.They are sold by Spaulding labs..........they have a calculator on their website and it tells you how many to buy according to the number and type of animals that you have. More expensive of course, but they really work and to me it's well worth it.
tongue.png

I gotta tell y'all, I read this post a couple days ago, and thought, "Huh?" Well, yesterday on the way home from work I stopped by for some gas, and walked in to see if the service station had any of those air fresheners. (What the heck, I'll give it a shot.) I bought a 3-pack of the vanilla "trees", hung one from my rear-view mirror, and hung the other two on either side of my brooder (still in the garage.) By last night I really didn't notice anything, as the garage door had been open all day, and the flies were already in there. Well, this morning's routine was no different than any other day. The garage door was opened, the water changed, food topped off, and I've been waiting for the flies as usual. I have to admit sometimes it is fun to get the flyswatters out, and feed the kills to the chicks! They seem to really enjoy it. Most of the time I avoid the place when the flies are bad, however!

Now the amazing part. I've made several trips out there today, and although I've seen some flies (as well as a few bees, which I never see in there!) they are staying away from the brooder!! Sure, a couple have landed on it, but compared to what I usually see out there this is really amazing. It certainly is not the cure-all, but I have noticed a difference.

Ya never know!

Mark

One of the barred rocks jumped up right as I snapped this photo!
IMG_3069.jpg

they may laugh at the vanilla freshners but it did work last year...

I actually used the vanilla freshner that you put in the furnish returns in you house.. the ones you attach to you filters.. purchased at lowes. I attached them to the face of the box fan that is hanging from the roof and not a FLY in the coop.. but this year that is not working.. go figure
hu.gif
I have hung three so far and with a matter of days the vanilla is show and the scent bars are peeling - they never did that last year.. I think I am going to try the spray Three Cedars Silkies listed

Back
Top Bottom