Vantress. Anyone know that breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by x2n2005, Jul 12, 2016.

1. x2n2005

x2n2005 Just Hatched

Jul 11, 2016
    Philippines
    Hey there you guys! I got my first chicken last Sunday. I bought the chicken because I thought it looked cool and cute. The person said it is a Vantress chicken. I researched and what I found is that people sell these as broilers. The thing is I read that broilers are bred for meat and they dont live long. I want it as a pet. If it is a broiler. Got any suggestion on making it live longer? Here is a picture of her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Looks like it maybe to late. She appears to be going down on her legs already. I'd find another hen of a laying breed to replace her before you get to attached.

3. x2n2005

x2n2005 Just Hatched

Jul 11, 2016
    Philippines

i see. I guess I will just have to try keep her alive as much as possible. If she dies, do you think it is safe to eat her? I put her on antibiotics. I dont even wanna think about eating her though.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I agree. It's really not a kindness to extend the life of a broiler. They are bred to eat anything you put in front of them and grow like crazy. Keep them too long, and you will end up with a chicken suffering from leg problems, or possibly heart problems. Do you really want your pet to suffer? I would find someone to take her and, as suggested, find yourself a nice laying breed or a froo-froo chicken (frizzle, sizzle, silkie, etc.) for your pet. I'm sorry this first chicken is not one bred to live a long life.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Not sure why you put her on antibiotics... I would not eat a bird that we didn't kill ourselves. If you can't think about eating her, please find someone who can, and get yourself a healthier chicken to be your pet.

6. x2n2005

x2n2005 Just Hatched

Jul 11, 2016
    Philippines
    She w

She was pooping really wet green poop. Thought she would be be infected with something. After the antibiotics, she started to have better looking poop.

7. x2n2005

x2n2005 Just Hatched

Jul 11, 2016
    Philippines

I guess. Well,I better start looking for some chickens as pets. Poor thing. I feel bad for it. Thank you for the reply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by