vaseline application

RaisingtheBars

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 13, 2013
Middle Tennessee
We're in for another bout of cold weather (though not as bad as the polar vortex!) and I wondered how often to apply Vaseline to their combs and wattles for protection. Daily? Every other day? Less than that? Does it help keep their legs/feet warm, too?

I've never put anything on my bird's combs(Or other parts), and they are in an open-air coop. I get temps down in the single digits, not including windchill, and have never had any problems with frostbite.

The only ones here where we do(chicken wise) is the banty silkie roos with wattles .. those tend to get into their waterer, so we apply a bit. Basically, depends on how cold for how often. The hens? no, all are fine BUT we have pea combs and crested silkies pullets so there really is no exposed fleshing.

Thanks for your responses. Despite my overprotection ? there appears to evidence of frostbite on the highest tippy points of a couple of my hens' combs following the single digit + wind blast we had. Just a dot of black and spot of white on a wattle. They have a fine coop, tons of ventilation, no heat lamp, but shelter and food and liquid water. Doing the best I can and this website is AWESOME.

Back
Top Bottom