Vegans of BYC!!

Pics
Congrats on the cheese making, @BelovedBirds. BTW, I bet the ice cold shandy was great pairing with the cheese -- or without the cheese. Stay safe during these crazy hot days!
It was!! Being in the UK we usually avoid most of the heat, but lately it's been hitting 30's and 40s (celcius), the ducks are hating it just as much as I am! Bring on the rain and thunderstorms I say!
You stay safe too!

trading honey for eggs sounds so sweet! I wish I lived in a community like that lol. I choose not to eat honey, but I dont consider it quite the same league as dairy/meat and all- I dont really like honey anyways, but that does sound awesome you have a friend you get to do that with!
It’s super cool trading for things like this! I moved from living in the city all my life and the country is delightfully different with very different kinds of people!! I actually don’t like honey plain but only like it when used to sweeten things haha!

It's a challenge to be the only vegan at meal time, isn't it? I was thrilled when I found out that one of my latest houseguests is lactose intolerant and doesn't eat ANY dairy -- made my meal planning much easier. Fortunately, neither cared that I wasn't serving any meat, either.

I think you're right about rescue chickens nearly always being male, which is too bad. Here's to getting your permit and becoming a chicken mom anyway!

I feel like I am in a vegan slump....same ole same ole stuff. I have recently came to terms with I cant have any processed/man-made sugars, I get massive headaches and just feel yucky. Sweets are my downfall, so this transition hasn't been easy and I am just not feeling much of anything right now.

I have kale I am making into a brothy soup tomorrow and using some winter squash for fritters, hopefully this helps.

I feel like I am in a vegan slump....same ole same ole stuff. I have recently came to terms with I cant have any processed/man-made sugars, I get massive headaches and just feel yucky. Sweets are my downfall, so this transition hasn't been easy and I am just not feeling much of anything right now.

I have kale I am making into a brothy soup tomorrow and using some winter squash for fritters, hopefully this helps.
It can get hard sometimes! I have struggled with motivation to eat proper foods in the past. I usually feel better after scrolling through some vegan recipes. Kale soup sounds good! And Winter squash frittas!
Are you taking any vitamins? If not already, you should definitely try some nutritious yeast mixed into some foods, it works well with scrambled tofu, soups, pasta, that gives a good health boost!
I also find that I can get myself to eat more healthy protein foods, by snacking on well seasoned lentils and beans!
I'm a rather picky eater, certainly not the most healthy of vegans, but that is one of my favourite foods.

I find it much easier to eat "proper" foods since I went plant-based (can't be a "pure" vegan because I eat eggs, but only those from my own birds).

Learning to cook without meat or dairy has opened up a whole new "hobby" for me, and I've eagerly been adding vegan cookbooks and online recipes to my collection. I like experimenting to see what vegan substitutions I can make in "old" recipes, too.

I was pleasantly surprised at my annual physical this summer. My provider, who is very proud of her cholesterol numbers, informed me that no one has better numbers than she does -- except me! I'm thinking I can thank all those fruits and veggies I eat.

I was already taking B-12, but at her suggestion, I added Vitamin D along with the calcium I've been taking since before I changed eating habits.

Still, I live in the middle of farm country where it feels like everyone's every meal is centered around meat. I avoid potlucks because it's too much effort to explain to EVERYONE who looks at my plate why I chose the foods I did and didn't take whatever they brought.

I'm sure they would think it rude of me to examine their plates and ask why on earth they made the choices they did.

I wonder if you are missing protein or vitamin D? I am a former vegan, now a whole food, mostly plant based, “localtarian”. I had a bout of what I thought was depression, turns out I was way under in Vit D. I was vegan for 6 months, and just didn’t feel “right”, so I added minimal amounts of dairy & animal products, along w my new Vit D prescription, but only from local sources where I knew the animals were well kept and free to be outside. I totally commend your decision to eat vegan. I would definitely get bloodwork done just in case you are missing something. Find a vegan source of whatever you need and increase that in your diet, and add a good multivitamin if you don’t take one already!

I wonder if you are missing protein or vitamin D? I am a former vegan, now a whole food, mostly plant based, “localtarian”. I had a bout of what I thought was depression, turns out I was way under in Vit D. I was vegan for 6 months, and just didn’t feel “right”, so I added minimal amounts of dairy & animal products, along w my new Vit D prescription, but only from local sources where I knew the animals were well kept and free to be outside. I totally commend your decision to eat vegan. I would definitely get bloodwork done just in case you are missing something. Find a vegan source of whatever you need and increase that in your diet, and add a good multivitamin if you don’t take one already!
Thank you, I am going in next month and will have it checked

Back
Top Bottom