Vegans of BYC!!

Pics
do have a question for you all, DD can't do nuts because of allergies and can be super picky, any good suggestions for some protein for her. I can get her to eat some beans but not a ton and the fake meat for the most part is a no-go, though she loves the blk bean burgers and fake ckn patties.
Oooooh let's PLEASE chat more about our choosy vegan kids!! 🙏😍 Message me?

do have a question for you all, DD can't do nuts because of allergies and can be super picky, any good suggestions for some protein for her. I can get her to eat some beans but not a ton and the fake meat for the most part is a no-go, though she loves the blk bean burgers and fake ckn patties.
That's tough. No nuts and beans mostly(?) out. Some veggies have fair protein. Sweet potato and Brussels sprouts come to mind (from memory--grain of salt) wild rice is also good. Lentils too, but basically a bean--a little more versatile maybe. Tofu recipes is all I can really think.

That's tough. No nuts and beans mostly(?) out. Some veggies have fair protein. Sweet potato and Brussels sprouts come to mind (from memory--grain of salt) wild rice is also good. Lentils too, but basically a bean--a little more versatile maybe. Tofu recipes is all I can really think.
She can definitely eat beans, she just chooses not too or will eat them for like a week straight and then be done with them. She is almost 16 :lau I should try some tofu for her, I am not a super fan, but maybe she will be.

I have some...
Oatmeal, peas (actually have quite a bit of protein), lentils, tofu, sietan (I hate it but some people like it ..def worth a try), quinoa (very versatile), edamame.

Also...nutritional yeast. If you're not familiar with it...it's a yellowish flake that can be used in lots of things to season foods. It has a nutty, slightly cheesy flavor. I add it to soups and stews, broccoli, even a potato casserole I made last night. Some people like it drizzled over popcorn. It can be mixed into dishes and dissolves or put on top.

I'm a fan of nutritional yeast. It's an ingredient in my favorite TVP sausage patties.

I have not yet ventured into seitan, but I bought some Bob's Red Mill vital wheat gluten flour to make my own. I have a couple of cookbook recipes for making the seitan. Anyone have any tips?

She can definitely eat beans, she just chooses not too or will eat them for like a week straight and then be done with them. She is almost 16 :lau I should try some tofu for her, I am not a super fan, but maybe she will be.
Try getting EXTRA FIRM tofu, then, wrap the (unwrapped), block in a dishtowel and place it on a plate or in a pan. Pile. Few paper towels on top, or another dish towels, and then pile on HEAVY stuff!!! Cast iron, lead, large cookbooks, etc. Press down evenly, squeezing as much liquid as possible out of the tofu.
Place this in the refrigerator, and allow to drain overnight at least. For the best results 😄
Now, the morning of the next day, pour on a little Bragg's or soy sauce. Enough to saturate the thing. Squeeze out that liquid.
Cook it by frying in about a half inch to an inch of refined coconut or other oil, med high heat, turning carefully until brown and crispy all over 🥰 Drain on a paper towel. Toss with your fave sauce (BBQ, Southwestern, Teriyaki, ect), and noodles, veggies, or rice. ♥️

@Henhouse Harlot I am trying this next week! Thank you, sounds delicious though I am not a huge fan of tofu, I can stomach it.

@Ccort I haven't tried nutritional yeast yet, as I honestly haven't had the time to research on how to use it. I have some ordered in my Thrive Market order for next week, I am going to try and sneak some in her smoothies-she drinks one every day. At least she LOVES coconut yogurt :) and hummus, she will eat hummus.

The one thing I wish I liked more is eggplant, so many yummy sounding recipes out there. I got a couple new cookbooks, a lot of them are farm to table ones so I am excited. I just never seem to have ALL the ingredients at the right moment.

Back
Top Bottom