vegetation?

tay26

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
so i havent seen much about this and maybe im just overworrying...

we are going to build our coop and run in our woods after we finish clearing an area out. i was wondering if there were any certain plants or anything that could be harmful to chickens?

they will be able to go out in a large run that will most likely have things like pine needles, weeds, viney plants, and a lot of different kinds of leaves and other things. I kno a lot of these are good for foraging and finding bugs but could any be poisinous?

ladybug.gif
First off, Happy to meet you! Glad you're here!!
frow.gif
Hope you enjoy our company!!
wav_l-r.gif
WELCOME to BYC!!!

There aren't many plants you need to worry about, and no bugs that I know of, but where are you located?

There was a discussion about poison ivy a while ago, and my hens can get to where there is poison ivy, though I haven't noticed them going after it specifically, I have never protected them from it either, so I don't know for sure.... no sudden unexplained deaths or illnesses either though.
roll.png

There are some imported landscaping plants that can be bad, but it all depends on where you are in the world....

frow.gif
thanks! im in NW ohio and we do have a ton of poison ivy that grows almost everywhere in the spring and summer...

My chickens go everywhere on this 80 acre farm. We have poison ivy and poison oak, along with alot of other poisonous things. No sick chickens.

Yeah, I'm in NE Ohio, like I said, very little to worry about unless you have some exotic landscape plants, and up here, I wouldn't expect it. I didn't reply in that other thread discussing poison ivy because I'm just not sure if mine bother it or not when they're loose in the yard.... I just know they can get to it if they really wanted to. Honestly, my only worry has been that they wander around through it and then I pick one of them up or reach under a hen on a nest and get the stuff on my hands. Still, I always wash my hands when I get in the house... though, I suppose between the hen house and the people house...

Thanks everyone! all of your information is helping me sooo much!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom