Velcro Leg Bands vs Zip Ties

lisa7780

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 4, 2014
Hello. I am wanting to tell my chicks apart and am curious what works best...Velcro cable ties or zip ties. Or does something completely different work better. Thanks in advance!
1f414.png
1f413.png
1f425.png
1f424.png
1f424.png

For chicks because their legs are still growing I would suggest Velcro. When they are fully grown the zip ties work the best for me. I haven't tried the metal leg bands but many at shows use them for older birds.

Thanks for the info. I saw that Wal Mart had the Velcro ties so I will pick them up tonight. At what age is a chicken fully grown?

In my experience Velcro is a waste of time. Once it gets dust and grass in it it's useless. Cable ties are a definite no no. There are leg bands designed especially for use on chicks. There are also reviews on the different types here on this site. If you go to the search bar at the top of the page and type in ' leg bands '

Well , today I tried the colored Velcro ties on my nine 10wk old sweeties.

What a riot !

With someone else holding, I was able to put a strip on one , and she seemed ok with it. But as soon as we put her down, the others gathered 'round and all began pecking at the strip , which understandably, freaked her out a bit !

Ok - so that strip was removed.

Next we tried on another young lady. She immediately pulled the strip off herself, and ran wildly around the yard, with all the others in hot pursuit ! Too funny , in that way that only chickens can be !

So - I shall save the Velcro strips for other endeavors, and consider what options may be out there .... ha !

Last edited:
Too funny , in that way that only chickens can be !

So - I shall save the Velcro strips for other endeavors, and consider what options may be out there .... ha !
When I first heard of velcro, I said to myself, oh I have to try that, until i read your post LOL

thanks for the share

Back
Top Bottom