Vendor recommendation for purchasing electric fence controller?

Thanks for the replies, Howard. So far the charger has done a good job. An armadillo came through the fence once (dug a single small hole in the grass) but other than that I haven't seen any sign of four-footed critters coming in. I'm really more concerned with deer than raccoon in regards to the garden so I'm considering one more upper wire before I add a lower one....way higher population of deer than coons. I'll definitely keep the lower wire in mind, though!

I've got the charger placed right beside the 4-strand gap...I un-clip the charger from the battery when I go inside to work the garden. I do want to get a non-charged gate up and a switch so that my wife can enter as she pleases. As of now, she's hesitant to be unclipping wires. I agree, coming into contact with a hotwire isn't something people (usually) seek out. But, when you do make contact it is a memorable event!!!! ;)

The charger has been ticking away since May 25 and still maxes out the 7kv meter that I have and the needle on the chargers meter. I haven't taken a hydrometer reading, yet, though. I figure only 1000' of polywire with this fence charger puts out a pretty good jolt!

I read strong recommendations *not* to put up the fence unless it would be energized as soon as it was set up. Once I had the wire up I went ahead and painted the polywire in several places with peanut butter thinned down with vegetable oil. I put this mixture on several strands and in several locations on each side of the fence. I simply used a small paintbrush and brushed 10-12 inch sections of the polywire. It had 7kv+ on it when I went to bed that night. Like I said, I haven't seen a sign of a deer around the place. ;) I'm hoping one or two deer "sampled" the peanut butter and spread the word to their friends.:yesss: I did find some coyote scat about 30' from the fence, though. This fall I feel that the deer pressure may very well increase. At that time I'm thinking of getting some "step-in" plastic posts and placing a single strand of polywire 3' outside the permanent fence. That is a design that is highly regarded. Of course if the deer show up before then (like when my little rows of peas start producing) the outside fence will go up sooner.

The version of the PB (why not add jelly?) trick I've heard is to simply but down a glob of it on a square of tin foil, then drape the tin foil over the electric fence, pressing the foil together at the edges. You may need to "seal" the foil square together with some type of tape. Tucked inside like that, it does not wash off as fast. The PB is what attracts them, and they then lick the tin foil, which is a conductor, so they get zapped on their tongue. Ouch.

Oh yeah, I read about the aluminum foil method and may try it in the future. In reading it seems the polywire holds the peanut butter pretty good, and apparently it did. I figure if one skips over/through the fence I'll add another strand and tag it with the aluminum foil. Deer have a keen sense of smell and I can still tell where I put the peanut butter on the polywire...I wonder if they can still get a scent from it? I might touch it up a bit when all of this rain moves out. Man, it's been a rainy summer!!!! Not complaining, though!

ETA: And, with all of this rain we've been having, the aluminum foil might be a good idea!

Back
Top Bottom