Vent and egg laying question

lilshadow

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Milaca, MN
Okay, I am reading that some of you folks are checking the vents on your hens....Here are my questions: What does the vent look like or suppose to look like when the hen is getting ready to lay? Is this something I need to check? Why do you look at the vent? I am reading that a chicken will lay 1 egg a day. If they don't lay 1 egg a day is this something I need to worry about? Alrighty then, I think that about does it for me and my questions. Thanks for the help...where can I find info on this subject?

Some breeds don't lay everyday , and as always each chicken is different in it's own right so I wouldn't worry if I didn't get an egg everyday.

Myself I don't have time to flip all the hens over to check the vent...lol. Although I do look at the back ends out of habit as they are mulling about ...just in case someone has a prolapse.

I think if I were a chicken and somebody kept flipping me round about to check the back end it would make me nervous...lol.

I've heard a lot of folks trim vent feathers on some of the gals with big cushions...like cochins, to help fertility possibilities.

Julie
smile.png

Oh do we want to start the VENT thread again? LOL
(Please don't ask for pictures!)

All I know is when they're laying hens - the vent is moist and soft "looking" when they're NOT laying its dry.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom