Vent and egg laying question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lilshadow, Jan 20, 2008.

1. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Okay, I am reading that some of you folks are checking the vents on your hens....Here are my questions: What does the vent look like or suppose to look like when the hen is getting ready to lay? Is this something I need to check? Why do you look at the vent? I am reading that a chicken will lay 1 egg a day. If they don't lay 1 egg a day is this something I need to worry about? Alrighty then, I think that about does it for me and my questions. Thanks for the help...where can I find info on this subject?

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Some breeds don't lay everyday , and as always each chicken is different in it's own right so I wouldn't worry if I didn't get an egg everyday.

Myself I don't have time to flip all the hens over to check the vent...lol. Although I do look at the back ends out of habit as they are mulling about ...just in case someone has a prolapse.

I think if I were a chicken and somebody kept flipping me round about to check the back end it would make me nervous...lol.

I've heard a lot of folks trim vent feathers on some of the gals with big cushions...like cochins, to help fertility possibilities.

Julie [​IMG]

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Oh do we want to start the VENT thread again? LOL
    (Please don't ask for pictures!)

All I know is when they're laying hens - the vent is moist and soft "looking" when they're NOT laying its dry.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  4. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Quote:Cool thanks that's all I needed to know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by