Vent area poopy

Ducksandchickens

Free Ranging
Apr 24, 2018
North Western Ohio
I let my very small flock of 2 at around 1 today. My usually aggressive RIR, penny,wasn’t moving after she went over to the hose. My other hen, Sherman was acting normal. I went over to penny and she didn’t chase or try to attack me which was very unusual bc she is quite a mean hen. I knew something was wrong. First thing I did was get on my hands and knees to bend down far away to check her butt area. It was pasty and white and full with dried poop. Penny and Sherman havent been laying for a while. Sherman hasn’t for about a month and that was normal. Sherman’s comb was pale and small so she is fine but penny’s is large and red and she was laying about a week ago. At first I thought she had stopped laying bc of winter. (They are both 3 1/2 years old btw. They’ll be 4 in spring) I knew what to do and got a bucket of warm water and a rag and me and my mom rangled up penny. My mom held penny and I gently wiped some poop away. I saw a big clump of poop and picked it away. Penny freaked out and we let her down. I then got a throw away lasagna plate and then put warm water in there. We set her down and it seemed to clear most of it up. Her butt was wet but we let her go. She pooped which I think is good. Penny started grooming herself but wasn’t interested in food. She mostly stayed behind the heater and wasn’t very active but she did try dust bathing. I put them in the coop about 30 mins ago when it got dark.

I can’t get any pics because it’s dark out. Is there anything else I can do other then pray? We can’t afford a vet at the moment and family issues have arisen so we can’t really ask for family to help us. Thanks guys

Last edited:
check her butt area. It was pasty and white and full with dried poop. Penny and Sherman havent been laying for a while. Sherman hasn’t for about a month and that was normal. Sherman’s comb was pale and small so she is fine but penny’s is large and red and she was laying about a week ago. At first I thought she had stopped laying bc of winter. (They are both 3 1/2 years old btw.
So Penny last laid an egg last week?
How cold is it where you are?

If it's really cold, then you may want to get Penny and dry her off before she spends the night outside. If she is sick, she will be struggling to stay warm.

When you can, feel of Penny's abdomen -cup your hand underneath her vent and feel between the legs. Tell me how that feels - full, bloated, swollen, normal, filled with fluid, etc. Compare her to Sherman if you need to.

Get us a picture of Penny and her poop too. In the morning, feel Penny's crop before she eats/drinks, it should be empty.

Keep us posted.

So Penny last laid an egg last week?
How cold is it where you are?

If it's really cold, then you may want to get Penny and dry her off before she spends the night outside. If she is sick, she will be struggling to stay warm.

When you can, feel of Penny's abdomen -cup your hand underneath her vent and feel between the legs. Tell me how that feels - full, bloated, swollen, normal, filled with fluid, etc. Compare her to Sherman if you need to.

Get us a picture of Penny and her poop too. In the morning, feel Penny's crop before she eats/drinks, it should be empty.

Keep us posted.
Yes penny laid last week. Currently it’s 46 degrees out and supposed to be a low of 43. I’ll check her crop tomorrow. Idk if this’ll help but she hasn’t lost weight. Most of my other birds I have owned that have gotten sick have all lost weight quickly

Yes penny laid last week. Currently it’s 46 degrees out and supposed to be a low of 43. I’ll check her crop tomorrow. Idk if this’ll help but she hasn’t lost weight. Most of my other birds I have owned that have gotten sick have all lost weight quickly
Check the crop and feel her abdomen in the morning.
Let us know what you find out.

Back
Top Bottom