Vent Build up Inside

Inharmony

Songster
11 Years
Jul 14, 2011
Hello, Please read the entire thing as I've had some criticism elsewhere when people don't read ot all. I asked on some other groups I'm in and many thought this is vent gleet but she has NO DISCHARGE and she's staying really clean but she never has solid poops. When checking her vent area after an epsom bath I found out she had this chunky build up of whitish yellow stuff that is like a scab or something which keeps coming back inside the vent. Initially I did consult a vet before I discovered the chunky stuff inside the vent. We had just treated (off label) with Ivermectin for lice then when the poop didn't get solid for this lady I brought her inside. We did ACV for a few days then tried CORID because the vet said it might fit where we had just done Ivermectin and it didn't look like vent gleet. The CORID did seem to help! On day 3 her poop got more solid then back to runny by day 4. We did vitamins after the CORID. We have now done 5 days of canestin orally and cream inside vent, with no improvement. I'm switching to monistat today just to rule out the yeast. Ssshe had a few bad days. At one point she stopped eating but now she's happy and eating without issues. No egg laying since i brought her in. Not sure if she ever did yet or when it stopped if she was laying. She is less than a year old. Has anyone ever seen/cured something like this?

Attachments

• 20230122_160249.jpg
    20230122_160249.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 22
What's the initial reason you for bringing her in and giving a soaking?
Did she have a prolapse or?

Are you in the UK, NZ, AU or?

Does she still have lice?

I'm a bit confused about the vet saying to do Corid because it might "fit" where you had done the Ivermectin? Corid (Amprolium) is a Coccidiostat. Ivermectin is basically classified as an anthelmintic or antiparasitic but it's not going to treat Coccidia.
What dose and duration of Corid did you give and what was the dose of Ivermectin, did you repeat the Ivermectin in 10-14 days?

Hard to tell what the material is in the vent. If it's coming from the vagina, then I'd take a guess that it's possibly lash material. If it's coming from the intestines, then it may be cecal core but these are just guesses.
Is there an odor?

I think your approach is probably o.k. keep the material moist with ointment, cream, oil or honey, see if will eventually soften up so she can expel it.
Canesten usually contains Clotrimazole depending on which one you have, it's an anti-fungal. The Miconazole may be a little better but both basically do the same thing, so if you've given Clotrimazole twice a day for 7 days, then unlikely you'll see better results with Miconazole.

What's the initial reason you for bringing her in and giving a soaking?
Did she have a prolapse or?

Are you in the UK, NZ, AU or?

Does she still have lice?

I'm a bit confused about the vet saying to do Corid because it might "fit" where you had done the Ivermectin? Corid (Amprolium) is a Coccidiostat. Ivermectin is basically classified as an anthelmintic or antiparasitic but it's not going to treat Coccidia.
What dose and duration of Corid did you give and what was the dose of Ivermectin, did you repeat the Ivermectin in 10-14 days?

Hard to tell what the material is in the vent. If it's coming from the vagina, then I'd take a guess that it's possibly lash material. If it's coming from the intestines, then it may be cecal core but these are just guesses.
Is there an odor?

I think your approach is probably o.k. keep the material moist with ointment, cream, oil or honey, see if will eventually soften up so she can expel it.
Canesten usually contains Clotrimazole depending on which one you have, it's an anti-fungal. The Miconazole may be a little better but both basically do the same thing, so if you've given Clotrimazole twice a day for 7 days, then unlikely you'll see better results with Miconazole.
Thank you for the reply!

The thinking with Corid after ivermectin is that the ivermectin would have treated a whole bunch of parasites that could cause diarrhea. When it didn't clear up we resorted to maybe the cause was coccidiosis.

Initially we brought her in because of the runny poop and an assumption that it might be vent gleet. After soaking and cleaning she didn't get dirty again and no oozing. She also has not been laying so just in case she was having difficulty passing an egg. We are keeping her inside till we figure it out so bathing is not a concern with the cold.

The dose of corid was according to my research "for moderate cases" I did 22ml in 3 gallon of water for 7 days. The ivermectin was cattle pour on used off label ~3-4 drops on back between wings then repeated 12 days later.

We did Clotrimazole twice daily for 5 days. Information I had said 3 days but it wasn't cleared so I continued till 5 days then switched last night to Miconazole because I thought it might work differently where it's a different medication. I could not find suppository Miconazole so bought ovule type and used a syringe to pull out the liquid, giving 1/4 of that syringe orally (the ovule has higher dosage but less ingredients and I've read some ingredients in the cream can be dangerous for chickens)

I can't tell where it coming from. I wouldn't say it seems to be coming from anywhere but instead it's more like it's growing on her. It's completely attached to her body and doesn't dissolve off like crusty poop. It is like when you soak a scab and can pick off the soft parts little by little. I don't thinknit specifically has odor but the poop smells terrible.

We did have the vent cleaned up and 90%of this crusty stuff I had picked off but it was hard to get it all because it is inside the vent. It came back a day later.

If it is lash related how would I treat that? I have two types of antibiotics from a chicken who had respiratory issues I can list them if antibiotics might help?

Oh I'm in Canada. No a lot of over the counter med options.

She does not still have lice. This has been ongoing for more than a month...

Last edited:
This article on salpingitis (the condition that causes lash material) may be helpful. See if the pictures in it look similar to what you are seeing.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
I've had several cases of salpingitis, they can pass small amounts, large amounts or none at all depending on each individual case. Treatment is often Baytril (enrofloxacin), and may be effective if started early enough. More advanced cases often do not respond to treatment. In the US we can get oral enrofloxacin through pigeon suppliers without a prescription, you may only be able to get it through a vet where you are.

This article on salpingitis (the condition that causes lash material) may be helpful. See if the pictures in it look similar to what you are seeing.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
I've had several cases of salpingitis, they can pass small amounts, large amounts or none at all depending on each individual case. Treatment is often Baytril (enrofloxacin), and may be effective if started early enough. More advanced cases often do not respond to treatment. In the US we can get oral enrofloxacin through pigeon suppliers without a prescription, you may only be able to get it through a vet where you are.
I don't think what I'm seeing is quite like that it is definitely not coming out on its own like an egg.

Sometimes it comes out as a large peice, like an egg, Sometimes small bits, smaller than a marble, but sometimes it's a long stretch of stuff, can be as long as the oviduct in some cases, all one mass. I'm not saying that's what it is, I can't tell, the picture is too blurry when zoomed in. Another thought is if it's egg matter, she may have a reproductive problem and is laying malformed egg or soft shell bits. Just can't tell.

Back
Top Bottom