vent clogged etc

mamasunshine

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 22, 2010
I have an almost 2 year old cuckoo maran who has a host of issues. I noticed one day she had some crusting on her vent. I picked her up and she felt bloated. My wife held her over the sink while I put a warm wash cloth on her backside and began to pull the crusted poo off of her vent. As soon as I pulled the last piece off, she had explosive (I really mean explosive, my wife was so startled she almost dropped her) poo followed by a trickle for a few minutes. We cleaned her up, put some vaseline on her vent, gave her antibiotics and let her rest for a week segregated from the other chicken. She still had a little bit of runny poo but we cleaned her again and let her back with the other hen. About a week later I noticed she had crusted again. We clean her, this time with no explosion. A few days later I noticed she looked crusted and really swollen. We cleaned her vent, and she let out some built up poo. I pressed on her stomach and egg came out, followed by more poo, with more runny bubbly poo to follow. When the egg came out, her vent tore about 1/4" near the top. She is back to being secluded with antibiotics. Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks.

I worry that maybe she has vent gleet. Search it on here and look at pics. It is pretty easy to treat, and causes crusting. Just so you can cover all of your bases.

sounds like the egg acted like a blockage and hence the poop issue. I am no expert, but I think you should treat her like a prolaspe vent and prevent her from laying for a week or so until she heals up by putting her in a dark area for a few days to prevent egg production, keep area clean and free from infection, sounds like you are doing all of thses . good luck with her, the poor thing

Back
Top Bottom