Vent discharge

Maplerunchickens

Chirping
Nov 11, 2020
Southern New York
Most of my chickens (even my 6mo old ladies) now have this discharge from their vents. Foamy, greasy, off white. This is the first I’ve seen of the foaminess. Usually just see the off white greasy/slippery discharge. Doesn’t smell like anything. My older birds have feather loss on their bums. Starting on the younger birds too. All anre eating drinking annd laying eggs just fine. Any ideas? Vent gleet? Yeast? Mites?
IMG_0736.jpeg

Those are urates which is chicken uric acids or kidney waste. Are you feeding a dry balanced chicken feed and providing fresh water in clean waterers daily? Runny droppings could be vent gleet or a fungal infection, but worms or drinking a lot of water can also cause it. Do you notice a worse odor in the droppings, feather loss around the vent, and burned or whitish areas? Nustock Cream or Monistat cream around the vent area might be good for the vent area.

Are the crops emptying overnight? Probiotics or a little plain Greek yogurt would be good to use in their food for a few days, then a couple of times a week. Have you wormed them recently? Valabazen 1/2 ml given orally and then repeated in 10 days is good. You could also use SafeGuard liquid goat wormer 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 days.

Those are urates which is chicken uric acids or kidney waste. Are you feeding a dry balanced chicken feed and providing fresh water in clean waterers daily? Runny droppings could be vent gleet or a fungal infection, but worms or drinking a lot of water can also cause it. Do you notice a worse odor in the droppings, feather loss around the vent, and burned or whitish areas? Nustock Cream or Monistat cream around the vent area might be good for the vent area.

Are the crops emptying overnight? Probiotics or a little plain Greek yogurt would be good to use in their food for a few days, then a couple of times a week. Have you wormed them recently? Valabazen 1/2 ml given orally and then repeated in 10 days is good. You could also use SafeGuard liquid goat wormer 1/4 ml per pound given orally for 5 days.
Crops are emptying overnight. We had lots of snow so water was in a huge container but a week old. I scrubbed and changed this am. Will keep it cleaner. Yes, feather loss around and especially below the vent. Exposed skin is quite red. I will deworm (shanks for the instructions) as I haven’t dewormed them before. What’s the egg withdrawal period for the safeguard?

Droppings are normal and food is balanced and dry- that should be fine I think. I’ll give them plain yogurt as per your advice.
Thank you!!!!

You might do a booty bath & do a oral dewormer. You should treat everyone. I use AquaSol which is the same active ingredient as the safeguard but it's made to be water soluble for chickens & nipple waterers. Hopefully that will do the trick!

There is a 14 day egg withdrawal with Valbazen or SafeGuard. Some people ignore that but it is best not to give away or sell eggs for that period. Aquasol is a very expensive diluted fenbendazole, the same ingredient in SafeGuard. It can be mixed in water where SafeGuard cannot, but it will only treat roundworms, not capillary or gapeworms. It has no egg withdrawal.

There is a 14 day egg withdrawal with Valbazen or SafeGuard. Some people ignore that but it is best not to give away or sell eggs for that period. Aquasol is a very expensive diluted fenbendazole, the same ingredient in SafeGuard. It can be mixed in water where SafeGuard cannot, but it will only treat roundworms, not capillary or gapeworms. It has no egg withdrawal.
Tami at Rusty Moose Farm sells the aquasol in small amounts for $10. I didn't even use 1 vial after treating my 13 ladies for 7 days.

You're correct about it being expensive if you purchased an entire bottle.

Yes, it is good that Some people are repackaging the Aquasol to sell in smaller amounts. Last I checked, a container cost around $300. The only problem I have is when you have an extremely sick chicken with an unknown illness, I would use Valbazen twice or the 10% fenbendazole (SafeGuard goat wormer or horse paste for 5 days. Those will kill capillary worms, and gapeworms, in addition to round and cecal worms. The Aquasol only treats roundworms which are the most common. It is easily put into water and it requires no egg withdrawal because it is water soluble and low dose.

Back
Top Bottom