Vent Gleet and now yellow maggots - help?

bearballoo

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2022
Our little Freckles has vent gleet bad. She's 2.5. We were giving her baths in Epsom salt, yogurt in her feed, apple cider vinegar in her water and she's by herself. Still laying eggs. When I went to check her bottom today I saw tons of yellow maggot/fat worms coming out of her. It's already been over a week of us treating her.........I'm sad and scared to ask if she's done for? I don't want the maggots going into the rest of the healthy flock. She's such a sweet girl...........oh, we're throwing the eggs away that she lays so not to spread anymore disease. HELP? TIA!!

Maggots inside her vent sounds like flystrike. Can you soak her vent area in a shallow bath with soapy water, and try to remove as many maggots as possible? Use tweezers and a magnifier if needed. Are they all inside her, or are some on the outside? Can you post a picture? Maggots can kill very quickly and they will continue to hatch out for some time. The baths may need to be repeated several times a day for a day or two. This is a good article to read:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

Gave another bath. Got about 40 worms that floated up out of her. Can't tell if they're inside. Waiting 30 minutes then will check her again. She sure hates these baths. It's been over a week of treating her. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• 20220819_145558.jpg
    20220819_145558.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 26
Did she just have a poopy butt a week ago, or could she have suffered a prolapsed vent and possibly got pecked? Flies are very opportunistic, and will lay eggs on prolapses, wounds, or a soiled vent. I hope that you can save her, but it will depend if they have gotten inside her or not. Make aure that she is eating and drinking. If you have any others with soiled vent, I would clean them off or bathe just the vent area. Treat flies around the coop with fly traps and possibly permethrin spray.

Did she just have a poopy butt a week ago, or could she have suffered a prolapsed vent and possibly got pecked? Flies are very opportunistic, and will lay eggs on prolapses, wounds, or a soiled vent. I hope that you can save her, but it will depend if they have gotten inside her or not. Make aure that she is eating and drinking. If you have any others with soiled vent, I would clean them off or bathe just the vent area. Treat flies around the coop with fly traps and possibly permethrin spray.
Its been 2 weeks of this. I noticed her on a tuesday after some rain and thought she was just messy. The next day when she wasn't cleaned up I knew something wasn't right. She's been isolated, we've gone through a huge tub of yogurt, acv in her water, throwing her eggs away. The worms haven't come back, but the goo is still there despite numerous baths.

Its been 2 weeks of this. I noticed her on a tuesday after some rain and thought she was just messy. The next day when she wasn't cleaned up I knew something wasn't right. She's been isolated, we've gone through a huge tub of yogurt, acv in her water, throwing her eggs away. The worms haven't come back, but the goo is still there despite numerous baths.
Looking at her I would say her vent is prolapsed.. it's definately outside of her. My poor girl

Our little Freckles has vent gleet bad. She's 2.5. We were giving her baths in Epsom salt, yogurt in her feed, apple cider vinegar in her water and she's by herself. Still laying eggs. When I went to check her bottom today I saw tons of yellow maggot/fat worms coming out of her. It's already been over a week of us treating her.........I'm sad and scared to ask if she's done for? I don't want the maggots going into the rest of the healthy flock. She's such a sweet girl...........oh, we're throwing the eggs away that she lays so not to spread anymore disease. HELP? TIA!!

I always use a 5 to 10 cc syringe filled and squirt a solution into her vent into her vent to flush flush flush

Back
Top Bottom