Vent gleet and prolapse

May 19, 2019
My 9 month old chicken was walking very slow so I went to go check on her. Upon bringing her in I noticed that she had a prolapsed vent. I gave her a bath and cleaned her up when I also noticed that she was not only swollen down there but she was also oozing white. Whenever she popped the vent back out I saw that I was coming from right above the swollen vent. From what I can tell it is either an infection or vent gleet.

Welcome to BYC. That is most likely urates coming out from kidney waste. It may be normal and not vent gleet, which is fungal infection of the vent that can be overdiagnosed. Is she passing any normal looking droppings? I would use some honey on the vent prolapse to keep it moist so the skin does not dry out and die. Keep pushing the prolapse back inside when you can, and hopefully she will eventually keep it in. How often does she lay eggs? To stop her laying temporarily can take 3 days or so, and she would need to be kept in the dark for 16 hours overnight each day. Then for 8 hours per day she can be in light, to eat and drink. Give her a shallow vent bath daily to keep her clean, then reapply the honey or a 50:50 sugar and water mixture. A vet can put in a temporary suture to hold the prolase inside if needed. Some hens can prolapse their intestines out of the opening, and any hen with a prolapse should be kept separated until the prolapse syas in. Otherwise, they will be pecked or cannibalized by the other chickens. This link may give you info why a prolapse may occur:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

Posting a picture of her prolapse can be helpful. Epsom salts in the soaking water can help to heal the vent, or you can use dish detergent in the water. The key is to prevent any dark or necrotic tissue, which can be prevented by keeping the prolapse moist with a water soluble material such as honey.

Back
Top Bottom