Vent gleet - completely cement-like and impossible to remove?!

Yes, essentially it's like a scab. I've never really been able to completely i.d. what all that material consists of, but it sticks on like glue. Surprisingly, when it does eventually slough off, the tissue underneath usually looks very good and healed. Anyway...just keep working the oil/sugar or whatever ointment you have on hand. She's essentially retaining the prolapse for the most part until she poops. Once the material comes off, the action won't be so exaggerated.

As for getting fluids into her - you can syringe or tube fluids if necessary. Try giving sweetened water (sugar water) or electrolytes.
Anything juicy/watery to eat - tomato, melon, cucumber these seem to be interesting to them when they are "off".
Wet mushy feed. Ground up veggies/made into a bit of a soupy mush.

Here's the thing. We all know that they *should* eat their normal nutritionally balanced food, do provide it and make it available, but often when they are off their feed, getting them a little something else is better than nothing. Once better, I've never not had a hen go back to eating her normal feed.
You’re amazing at this. Thank you so much 🩷🐓

Seems quite well. If she didn’t have a messy butt I would think she’s back to 100%. I haven’t examined the vent internally, where the scab is, because I think I was harming more than helping. The visible vent looks great.
Good! I'm glad she's doing much better.

Yes, sometimes you can do more harm than good.

Back
Top Bottom