Vent gleet, egg peritonitis, or something else?

clapping

Chirping
Sep 29, 2020
My gal Effie is exhibiting some bad symptoms. She and my gal Joni were giving me every day or every other day eggs, and Effie has stopped. I started tracking her and on Saturday I noticed she had green, lumpy poop, and watery - pics attached. She was also lethargic and not eating much, until today not eating at all.

Today I started Corrid and Safeguard, as I felt she may not be eating due to one of these issues so I ordered these ASAP. However, I also gave her a bath today because I noticed she had some poop stuck to her butt and I wanted to check if she may be egg bound as another possible cause. After the bath I saw she had some yellow-ish stuff in her feathers, as well as some exposed skin - pic attached. I did the ole' latex finger check to see if she really was egg bound, and did not feel anything.

If anyone has any idea what this might be other than colliculitus/ worms/egg bound, please let me know. It seems to have symptoms from a whole host of possible issues. I'm hopping the worming or Corid does the trick but I also wanted to see if anyone has insight as I really love this gal and it's tough to see her in this state.

For the whole BYC questions see below:

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) "Olive egger', 7 months, 4 lbs 3 oz (seems to have lost weight but I didn't weigh before)
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Lethargic, not eating, sitting
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Saturday?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Not sure, could be worms or cocci, treating for both now but want to make sure I"m not missing anything.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. I've been feeding her as much as I can with eggs, yogurt, regular layer feed & scratch - whatever she'll take. Water, assisting with vitamins
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Runny, watery, green - not at all normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Corrid, safeguard
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? No vet near me will take a look at her, far as I have been able to find. I'm going to keep asking but no luck so far.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use - 3 chickens in a run with straw & daily free range

Attachments

• IMG_5388.jpg
    IMG_5388.jpg
    846 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5387.jpg
    IMG_5387.jpg
    604.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5386.jpg
    IMG_5386.jpg
    661.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5385.jpg
    IMG_5385.jpg
    811.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5364.jpg
    IMG_5364.jpg
    893.2 KB · Views: 9
If you have a regular vet you could ask them if they would at least do a fecal float on some combined fresh droppings brought in in a ziploc bag. My vet would do that, especially if I brought in a dog or cat for an exam. If that is not possible, you could go ahead and treat with Corid for coccidiosis 5 days in the water, and worm them with Valbazen 0.08 ml per pound given once and again in 10 days. Or use SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 0.23 ml per pound given for 5 consecutive days.

Thanks very much! I have asked my (dog) vet and a few others in the area, and they either flat out say no or are asking for like a hundred dollars! I've reached out to the farm stores to see if they know of anyone who will perform the test but so far no luck.

As for the Corid and dewormer, that is what I'm doing right now starting today. Hoping for improvement but wanted to send the bat signal (chicken signal???) for if anyone has insight if it's something else. I was going to deworm soon anyway and the Corid doesn't hurt so I thought I'd cover my bases, hopefully we'll see improvement but I noticed these other symptoms today :(
If you have a regular vet you could ask them if they would at least do a fecal float on some combined fresh droppings brought in in a ziploc bag. My vet would do that, especially if I brought in a dog or cat for an exam. If that is not possible, you could go ahead and treat with Corid for coccidiosis 5 days in the water, and worm them with Valbazen 0.08 ml per pound given once and again in 10 days. Or use SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 0.23 ml per pound given for 5 consecutive days.

Back
Top Bottom