Vent Gleet in Quail?

Daris0002

Hatching
Oct 20, 2023
Hello! We recently got some quail, around July. One of our coturnix quail was walking around slowly and we noticed a huge sack like ball protruding from her vent. I've done some research and everything I've found only relates to chickens. I don't think it was a vent prolapse because everything I've seen with a prolapse, the pictures show a little tiny bit poking out from the vent. The ball that was protruding from our quail was almost half the size of the quail itself and it gave a rank smell; which led me to believe it could've been vent gleet but all the pictures I've seen with vent gleet shows runny diarrhea like symptoms. Not a huge ball sack like thing coming from the vent. The big sack protruding from the quail was a bit squishy and was not an egg. I'm really at a lost at what it could've been or what happened. I would really like to get to the bottom of this issue especially if I could prevent it from happening again. Sadly, I had to put the quail down, but I would love to know if anyone else has heard or seen this happen before.

It sounds like a tumour or extreme prolapse. Was there an egg in there? That would have been prolapse with egg bound.
It did not feel like there was an egg in the sac or in the quail. I do believe it could've been an extreme prolapse; I just couldn't find anything similar to it online

Back
Top Bottom