CloneFly

Never say Never
Premium Feather Member
Mar 8, 2022
Hello all, I went into the run today to give out the daily dose of love and cuddles and noticed my 1yr old EE kinda fluffy and quiet off to the side. I felt her crop and all was normal, but she does have messy/dirt butt feathers. My question is, would this be vent gleet or a possible case of broken egg?

I've given her some bovine probiotics (recommended by our chicken vet some time ago) Tomorrow I'll be separating her from the flock and washing/cleaning off her feathers. I also plan to add AVC to all their non-metal waterers.

Thank you in advance for all the advice/help!

Attachments

• 20230806_020407.jpg
    20230806_020407.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 33
Check closely for any maggots on the dirty vent. Flystrike is very common this time of year, and can be deadly. Note if she has any inflammation or featherless areas, or a continuous drip page of droppings or urates. You can use some antifungal Monistat, miconazole, or clotrimazole cream on the vent area. Those may also be used to treat crop problems.
Many birds will have some runny droppings in hot weather from drinking a lot of water. If a vet of yours will run a fecal float on some collected fresh droppings on Monday, that could rule out worms, coccidia, and they could also look for fungus (vent gleet) or bacteria.

Check closely for any maggots on the dirty vent. Flystrike is very common this time of year, and can be deadly. Note if she has any inflammation or featherless areas, or a continuous drip page of droppings or urates. You can use some antifungal Monistat, miconazole, or clotrimazole cream on the vent area. Those may also be used to treat crop problems.
Many birds will have some runny droppings in hot weather from drinking a lot of water. If a vet of yours will run a fecal float on some collected fresh droppings on Monday, that could rule out worms, coccidia, and they could also look for fungus (vent gleet) or bacteria.
Unfortunately, we don't really have the funds to take her to the vet... it's been a hard year. The flock just recovered from a bad bout of coccidiosis about 2 months ago, so I truly hope it isn't that. I did a quick clean of the feathers with a wipe and noticed that some of the white stuff felt a bit chalky/grainy if that makes any sense. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for maggots and to apply the antifungal

Back
Top Bottom