Vent Picking

Zoohtasim

Crowing
Jun 7, 2021
One of my hens is eating the feathers off another chicken! The vent feathers to be exact. I separated her and I read that salt deficiency and protein deficiency can cause that. I added salt to her water and am giving her boiled eggs with worms. Any other suggestions? She will get cured right? I love her a lot and I do NOT want her to get hurt or hurt the others! Help please!

One of my hens is eating the feathers off another chicken! The vent feathers to be exact. I separated her and I read that salt deficiency and protein deficiency can cause that. I added salt to her water and am giving her boiled eggs with worms. Any other suggestions? She will get cured right? I love her a lot and I do NOT want her to get hurt or hurt the others! Help please!
I don't think you should be giving her salt. What do you feed them? How big is your coop and run in feet? What kind of treats do you give and how often? Pictures are always helpful

I don't think you should be giving her salt. What do you feed them? How big is your coop and run in feet? What kind of treats do you give and how often? Pictures are always helpful
I feed them the usual feed, but they eat bugs and other stuff mostly as they are free ranged. I really dont know the measurement of the coop and run but I have 4 chickens in there and I cant reach the sides of it even a bit if I stretch my arms from the centre. As they are free ranged, not much except kitchen scraps and some unused veggies from the garden. I will upload pics by today. And also, should I then remove the salt from their water?

It sounds like a large space... so i am unsure why this has started.

Yes, remove the salt.

Excellent that you have her separate for now.

Exactly what can of feed do they get? Layer? Grower? Scratch? What is the % protein of the feed?

Do they have free access to as much feed as they want all-day long? Or is their feed limited?

And toys aren't needed, especially if you have enough space...... I think they help where space is limited.

And yes, pictures would be great.

Back
Top Bottom