1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vent problem / Constipation

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JustChicky, Apr 17, 2008.

1. JustChicky

JustChicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2008
    East Texas
    I have a chick that has always had a weird vent. He is also having problems pooping. The poop will get stuck coming out and then the vent starts turning inside-out. I have to help him out about once a day. I just squeeze his bottom, gently, and a lot of poo comes out (about twice as much as is sticking out). Then I clean it and he is fine until the next day. I put Vaseline on it today, GwenFarms suggested that and bearing grease but I haven't tried the grease yet. He eats and drinks, seems happy, but he does squeak when I clean it. Oh yeah, I do see him poop normal at least once everyday. Here is a picture after I cleaned him, before drying and applying Vaseline:

[​IMG]

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    good luck and keep doing what you are doing... perhaps some live culture yogurt (free choice daily) will help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by