Vent problems? How much vitamins daily?

Amelise

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
Southern U.S
So I decided to just go ahead and make a new thread for my problem chick. She is eating and drinking all by herself now so we will keep giving her the vitamins for two more weeks. How much B1 and E does she need daily? Should I just guess? Is it best to give it to her in food, water, or paste form?

Also, she has an odd vent. It keeps collecting poop and I have wiped it off for the second time of the day. It seems to be sticking out more than the other chicks. Is this a problem? Is she constipated? I’m pretty sure she’s pooping as regularly as the other chicks. What do y’all think?

Attachments

• 3C9C5D8D-40FC-449D-B220-D102BB92708F.jpeg
    3C9C5D8D-40FC-449D-B220-D102BB92708F.jpeg
    395.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 8822ED1F-1E9C-4F42-94C3-617577F8C12A.jpeg
    8822ED1F-1E9C-4F42-94C3-617577F8C12A.jpeg
    370.6 KB · Views: 2
Does she have wry neck? if so, it's 400 i.u of e and half a human b complex vitamin. She could be getting pasty butt from too hot/too cold, shipping stress or dehydration.
She has wry neck but she has greatly improved. She is no longer falling backwards or looking up but she is still a bit wobbly. Under the heat lamp it is about 95 F, in the outskirts of the brooder it is a little under 90.
We put this in their water to help rehydrate them after shipping. Didn’t realize the flock fixer had vitamin E in it until now. Should I still be giving E to her from the pills?

The vitamin E that we have is 250 mg per pill, so that would be 125 mg for her daily?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    699.3 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 3
It looks like the vitamin E in your picture is 400 IU or 180mg, just right. The other medication with E and other vitamins won’t hurt, but don’t give that for more than a few days. I would decrease the temperature in the brooder to 90 with a cooler outer area. The vent looks a bit protruding, possibly from a prolapse or straining. Keep it lubricated with a bit of oil or petroleum jelly and clean.

PS, it is a bit easier to keep track of all the info you have been given by staying with one thread. Here is your previous one:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-to-do-for-a-chick-with-wry-neck-help.1551768/

It looks like the vitamin E in your picture is 400 IU or 180mg, just right. The other medication with E and other vitamins won’t hurt, but don’t give that for more than a few days. I would decrease the temperature in the brooder to 90 with a cooler outer area. The vent looks a bit protruding, possibly from a prolapse or straining. Keep it lubricated with a bit of oil or petroleum jelly and clean.

PS, it is a bit easier to keep track of all the info you have been given by staying with one thread. Here is your previous one:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-to-do-for-a-chick-with-wry-neck-help.1551768/
Ok. I will be taking them off of the medicated water tomorrow. I’ll put the heat lamp up a bit higher and give her vent a bit of petroleum jelly.

I will mix half a B1 tablet and a E pill with a bit of food and feed it to her daily, and I’ll give her the last treatment on October 31.

Back
Top Bottom