Vent Problems!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bugandpudge, Aug 18, 2013.

1. bugandpudge

bugandpudge Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    I have a 6 month old Barred Plymouth Rock hen. She has been laying for about a month now. Today I went to feed them and she wasn't too interested in the food and I noticed that she had a dirty vent. It was not clogged, so I wiped it best that I could. She still looks a healthy weight and I am pretty sure she is still laying. Her vent was a normal color. I noticed while she was near the feeder she vomited about a quarter size amount of what looked like water.. I don't know what to do but I need help fast in order to get her medicine, I live in a rural place and will have to drive about an hour or order it online.
    Thanks to anyone who has any ideas!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be vent gleet or sour crop, both of which are fungal infections. The crop should be empty first thing in the morning--if it is full and squishy it may be sour. They usually have smelly breath. Treatment is apple cider vinegar in the water, give some plain yogurt daily, and you can use monitstat vaginal suppositories cut into thirds, and give a piece by mouth twice a day. Vent gleet symptoms are a red vent area, sometimes with white or yellow patches, and messy from diarrhea. The same treatments above except for the monistat work, plus using an antifungal cream such as Nustock from the feedstore or monistat vaginal cream.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by