Vent prolapsa in new Serama chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mayapooh, May 12, 2010.

1. mayapooh

mayapooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Kern River Valley, CA
    What type of bird , age and weight. Serama chick, 6 days old, a little over half an ounce
    How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 3 days
    Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Vent appears to be prolapsed
    What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Medicated chick starter, water with a tiny bit of iron-free baby vitamins added, scrambled egg+yogurt.
    How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal and well formed.
    What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Washed area carefully, applied triple antibiotic cream the first couple days, and tonight applied Vaseline + sugar
    Describe the housing/bedding in use. They are on paper towels, changed once a day.

I have five new Serama chicks, five and six days old, that are in a cage with their mom in my room. Three days ago, while cleaning some poopy butts, I noticed one of the six days olds has a prolapsed vent. The chick is very active, eating & drinking plenty, running around, and doesn't seem to be in any pain, and the other chicks are not bothering her vent, for which I'm thankful. The tissue is pink and plump, but the vent is out pretty far. First couple of days I just tried to keep the area clean, as it keeps getting poopy, and there was a tiny scab there so I put a little triple-antibiotic cream on it. The scab is better, so tonight I tried pushing it in with Vaseline. It did not want to go back in when I pushed (she may just be pushing back against the pressure of my finger, though) , and I was afraid of causing more damage so I gave up on that and just sprinkled some sugar on it. I will go to town and get some Prep H or witch hazel tomorrow. (I've already read a bunch of old prolapse threads.)

Is there something else I should be doing? The chick seems, in all other respects, very vigourous and happy, and is the plumpest of the bunch. Since no one is picking at the vent, I haven't separated the chick so as not to stress her out - she gets upset enough when I bathe and treat her. She's been pooping just fine. This is my first chick with a prolapse, and I'm kinda stressing over it. Should I keep trying to push it in? How likely is she to heal or grow out of it since it's already been three days? Any advice or info will be greatly appreciated...!

2. mayapooh

mayapooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Kern River Valley, CA
    bump

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Maybe some prep h to help shrink the tissue. I haven't seen that in a chick, but if it was a hen I'd put prep-h on it so.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by