vent prolapse getting crusty

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lisa202, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Last Sunday, I noticed a somewhat small red protrusion coming from the vent of one of my 2 year old EE's and the other chickens had pecked off the feathers from her butt. I read posts here that said I should bath her, use Prep H and try to push it back in. The prolapse wasn't that big to begin with, so I went in easily, only to come back out within 10 minutes. I did this for 2 days (all the while I now had her in a darkened dog crate in the house to keep her away from the others, to stop egg laying and to avoid putting her back out in the cold while wet). By the 3rd day, the protrusion was now looking brown and crusty and scab like, so I stopped using Prep H and pushing it in. Several posters had written that they experienced a prolapse falling off like a scab, so I think this is normal. I still bath her each day to clean the poop off her, but the scab/protrusion is covered with hardened poop which is almost impossible to completely remove without causing it to bleed, so I stop messing with it. Today I applied witch hazel just to give it a little help.

So my questions are...
    1. How long should it take for it to fall off and be healed?
    2. Should I be doing something else?
    3. ...and will I be able to put her back outside with the others (when it falls off) being that she has been in a warm house for this amount of time.

Thanks for your help!
    Lisa[​IMG]

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Honey keeps it moist and helps also. I don't know how long it would take for it to fall off though.

3. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Thanks.

Do you know if this could take weeks? I read a couple posts of people saying this happened to them, but they didn't say how long it took. I'm not sure that keeping her in a small dog crate in the dark for weeks is a good thing either.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    My duck had a nasty prolapse and it took a couple of weeks to heal, but it never got "crusty", probably due to all of the time she spent in my bathtub.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by