1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

vent prolapse in week old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by juliejohnson805, Nov 2, 2016.

1. juliejohnson805

juliejohnson805 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2016
    Central Alabama
    Pretty sure she has a prolapse. I have read several other threads about this and I have tried to give warm bath and then push it back in. She is pooping and it looks normal. It is now poking out even further than before. She doesn't seem to be in distress and is eating and drinking. Any suggestions?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I had a prolapsed chick once and I asked a vet friend to have a look. (Mine was quite severe.) He suggested euthanasia. He did mention that people sometimes put a little sugar on it, but I honestly don't know if or how well that would work. If the problem is recurring and interfering with her ability to relieve herself, I'm afraid putting her to sleep would be the most humane option.

Hopefully another member can offer better advice…

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There are a few threads about baby chicks with prolapsed vents to read if you do a search at the top of tis page. Many try Preparation H cream or honey to help shrink the tissue to puch it back in. Keep it moist, so that the tissue does not dry out and die. Many of these chicks die which might be due to other internal defects, but some do live. Hopefully if you have the time to give it extra care, yours will live. Look out for constipation, and make sure that it is eating and drinking normally.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by