Vent prolapse-tried everything I know

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickonaroost, Jul 3, 2011.

1. chickonaroost

chickonaroost Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    My 4 yr old, actively laying RR has a vent prolapse. I had been all over the message boards and tried sugar, preparation H,
    manual insertion (she thinks I love her now.)
    She keeps prolapsing. HELP! I don't want to end her little life if I don't have to. She is dripping poop everywhere, including
    all over her feathers, which is making her smell really bad and the flies are loving it.
    Any more suggestions?

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    So you've pushed it back in good a couple of times? I know I've had to just about completely insert my middle finger to press it back into the cavity.

3. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    I don't have any suggestions but hopefully someone will read this and be able to help!

4. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    I have read here that some will put in a stitch on the vent to keep it in, you might search for info on that. I know some vets will do that as well. I wish you luck with her. I have two recovered prolapse hens, and I know how stressful it is.

5. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Oh yeah squish, seems I read something about that too. A stitch with room for poop to pass. But what about an egg? Maybe something needed from the vet I don't know. Something to make them go into molt basically.

6. chickonaroost

chickonaroost Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    She must have heard me talking about her pubicly, because it's back in and feathers are dry.
    I stopped feeding her layer crumbles and switched her to free range greens only. It stopped her from laying.
    Hopefully when I feed her again, it doesn't happen again...and yes, I buried my finger twice to push it back in.
    Oh, what we do for our chickens!!

7. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Awesome, you know what you're doin! [​IMG]

8. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    I guess the talk about stitchin her privates did the trick! [​IMG]

9. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    LOL:lau

10. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    LOL, smart chicken! I'm so glad it went back in- here's to hoping it stays where it belongs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by