vent sexing?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by nsanywhere, Apr 14, 2011.

1. nsanywhere

nsanywhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    well.....I'm going to give vent sexing a shot. My Sebastopol goslings are now a month old, so I know I'm a bit late to the party, but there you go.

Anyone done this before? Advice for me? I've been watching a few videos, but would love some advice from someone whose done it before!

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    There a good video link on Metzer web site. The only thing I can say is that this is a skill learnt by experience although theory teaches you the procedure and what to look for in principle. Just remember that the objective is slow and steady to open the vent. Almost like teasing a flower open, you dont squeeze!

Once you've seen a few you get to know what to look for [​IMG]

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I have heard that vent sexing is harder to do the younger they are. I'm no expert though, I left the vent sexing of the swans to my husband and our breeder friend who was a real expert. I got to say we never vent sexed our sebastopols because we could tell the female and male apart by coloring. The female had more gray and olive coloring and the male was very yellow. The female kept a few gray feathers as she grew and feathered out in white. The male is pure while as an adult and has lighter blue eyes.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Vent sexing should be done within the first few days unless you know what you are doing. You can seriously hurt an older gosling or duckling if you don't know what you are doing.

5. nsanywhere

Jan 8, 2010
    OK, so I gave it a try. Very gentle, very careful.

I was able to lay the goslings down on their back, across my knees. I talked to them, rubbed their belly and top of the beak to calm them down. They didn't kick or squirm, just lay there quietly.

Then I tipped the tail back/down and found the vent.

I very gently and carefully pressed the vent open by pulling the sides away. I didn't poke around, I didn't keep it up for long, just a gentle press and separation.

They are 1 month old. Of the 3 I did, I didn't see anything pop out. Is is possible the 3 I did are all female?? Really?

6. nsanywhere

Jan 8, 2010
    Quote:Thanks! I did watch that video - very helpful.

7. boredcolliejane

boredcolliejane Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Quote:I tried with my three 1 week goslings today, and I got one female and two who didn't want to show me. It feels a little frustrating, like you can't tell for certain unless you see a penis.

8. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    What I understand is that they have to be a few days old. I don't know exactly why. I did my ducks and so far I have been 100% on the mark. I learned by the Metzer video. I was going to do the geese but one was not doing well when hatched and by the time I got him up to par they were already a week old and I didn't want to chance anything. Besides, I went by color for a male and female. I'm hoping it's right...... lol.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:They don't have to be a few days old, they are less than 24 hours old when they are sent as sexed goslings from a hatchery.

10. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    You are right. I worded it wrong. I should have said "within" the first few days. Sorry about that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by