Ventalation & Sudden Temps

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by birdlady79, Nov 11, 2014.

1. birdlady79

birdlady79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    West Tennessee
    [​IMG]. I have a quick ? This will be my first winter w chickens.... Temps are dropping tomorrow 40 high 20 low... This coop requires quite a bit of ventilation... However, the 2 big side windows are close to roosting pole towards back of the coop...... Should I put the windows in for winter & leave the two front windows open? I could also pop up run door for extra ventilation..... We have straight winds coming across our backyard & I use sand for floor... They free range during the day.... Also should I cover the run with plastic incase they don't want to free range? It now has a roof and cardboard on back side...

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Hi I'm also from Tn. I would cover the windows that take the brunt of the wind. I usually cover the big front window in my coop because it faces kinda northwest and most of the winter wind comes in from that direction. As for the run, I don't cover it but I do lean a piece of plywood up against the northwest side to act as a wind block. I also keep extra deep shavings in the coop in winter. I don't heat the coop and so far I've had no problems. I actually will be winterizing my coop and run today. I just checked the weather and winter has snuck up on me!

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/935878/heating-our-coop

You might read this thread, not just my post but the others too.

Personally, I'd cover the windows that allow a wind to blow on them but leave the rest open. When I grew up in the Cumberland Gap area I saw chickens sleeping in trees in a protected valley when the temperatures were below zero Fahrenheit. 20 degrees is quite comfortable to chickens as long as a wind is not hitting them.

4. birdlady79

Jan 29, 2014
    West Tennessee

Thank you! Yes winter is arriving in TN today! I've got to get a bag a sand to put in & add some pine shaving..... I covered windows this morning.... I know I'll get use to a winter routine, just a little nervous being my first year...

5. birdlady79

Jan 29, 2014
    West Tennessee

Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by