There really isn't a good pre fab coop out there. That is why most of us on here are against them. For the same amount most of them cost you can build a much better one from scratch.

I'm sure there is some unknown maker out there that custom builds 3 prefabs a year that somebody on here will point out.

I'm sure there is some unknown maker out there that custom builds 3 prefabs a year that somebody on here will point out.

Carolina Coops seem pretty good if you can afford them and are willing to wait for them.

But maybe they're custom coops rather than pre-fab. :D

I'm tempted to try selling coops, but people wouldn't want to pay for them vs the prefabs. :(

Carolina Coops seem pretty good if you can afford them and are willing to wait for them.

But maybe they're custom coops rather than pre-fab. :D

I'm tempted to try selling coops, but people wouldn't want to pay for them vs the prefabs. :(

Shipping alone would kill anybody wanting to buy one. Plus why would anybody want to buy one built out of real lumber for 3 times the cost, they can go buy one made out of stapled together cardboard at tractor supply.

Do you guys have any suggestions on that size kind of coop that has good ventilation? What small coop do y'all recommend?
Also we let our chicken run around in the whole back yard so space isn't an issue! We just want one to three chickens currently!
If you do not plan to build another coop, you might as well stick with the current as most prefabs are gonna be the same problem. If you really wanna try to get some acceptable ventilation out of what you have, you can add 3 6 inch vents to each side of the coop at the gables.

Attachments

• Inked7058969F-6011-4935-97ED-43F2132E3FFC_LI.jpg
    Inked7058969F-6011-4935-97ED-43F2132E3FFC_LI.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 4
If you really wanna try to get some acceptable ventilation out of what you have you can add 3 6 inch vents to each side of the coop at the gables.

For Texas taking the entire gable triangle out is probably necessary.

Which then requires adding awnings to protect the vents from weather.

I haven't found any prefab coops that will work in our heat here in Texas. My husband built an open air coop/run combo (very similar to Carolina coop). Our local feed store (family-owned) occasionally has some coops ready built for purchase by a local craftsman. They are larger than prefab coops, and have good ventilation. -might check with a local feed/garden store and see if they have something like that. If you keep the one you have, definitely add vents - and I agree with the suggestion of removing the entire triangle and covering with hardware cloth. When it gets up over 100, I hook a mister to the water hose and plug in a fan or two aimed on the run. This keeps cool blowing on them.

From somebody with very similar weather as most of TX I tend to agree.

I'd also suggest putting a ridge vent on the top of it.

Going that far...one could remove the metal ridge cover and build a ridge vent too.

Good point -- a ridge vent is an excellent idea in a hot climate. In addition to other ventilation, of course.

Back
Top Bottom