Ventilation design help ideas.

M Brennen

Songster
Jun 15, 2020
Northern Vermont
I have built my run and am now in the process of trying to provide more ventilation in my coop. I realize that it will be impossible to provide the total amount needed. I have 45 birds. I am working with an existing 8’ x 14’ gambrel structure about 10’ high at the peak. I want to open the ends above the doors and am thinking about installing large return air grilles. My concern is that my birds roost in the rafters and I don’t want there to be a draft. I will also put air grilles that can be opened or closed above each window. I am hoping that now with a secure run I will be able to open the back door until it gets below freezing. I could really use some input, ideas, thoughts?

11C56D09-4781-4EAD-843B-001E0810D95C.jpeg
8470BEE4-BDC4-4EA0-9D1C-667924F03325.jpeg
E6B6B252-AA15-42FC-A9E4-78D330DB41FE.jpeg
39F7CC66-07F2-4C11-9070-9099FF369886.jpeg

Put roosts lower and block rafters from roosting.
Kinda small space for 45 birds.
Gambrels are tough to ventilate.
Could go with this:
View attachment 2285116
Regarding vents manufactured for eaves. I just bought some made of aluminum but the metal was literally paper thin. I had to err on the side of caution and put 1/2” hardware cloth over them. These vents also are made with mosquito screening on the inside which will probably get choked up with feathers and dust really fast. I suggest you remove the screens.

Regarding vents manufactured for eaves. I just bought some made of aluminum but the metal was literally paper thin. I had to err on the side of caution and put 1/2” hardware cloth over them. These vents also are made with mosquito screening on the inside which will probably get choked up with feathers and dust really fast. I suggest you remove the screens.
Don't even bother with purchased vent covers.....
1597096093929.png

Could go with this:
View attachment 2285116
Could go with this:
View attachment 2285116
Could go with this:
View attachment 2285116
I blocked the rafters off with tarps a few years ago. I could do that again, but would that defeat the purpose of the vents?

I blocked the rafters off with tarps a few years ago. I could do that again, but would that defeat the purpose of the vents?
I know I have too many birds. I got a little carried away with purchasing them this year. Originally I was only supposed to have 34, but ordered 12 more after the buffs originally ordered didn’t come in.

Back
Top Bottom